French say Islamists in Mali remain 'agile, motivated,' still control key towns | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

French say Islamists in Mali remain 'agile, motivated,' still control key towns

By Frederic Castel - McClatchy Newspapers

January 15, 2013 08:05 PM

France’s top defense official said Tuesday that his country is continuing to build up its forces inside the West African nation of Mali and that the Malian military so far had been unable to rout Islamist rebels from the strategic city of Konna, which al Qaida-linked insurgents seized last week, or from the village of Diabaly, which fell to the rebels on Monday.

The Islamists "remain agile, motivated, well-equipped, well-trained and able to hide in the mountains and vegetation," French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told reporters.

The assessment, on the fifth day into the French intervention in Mali, was less optimistic than previous reports of fighting, which had suggested that French air attacks had sent rebel forces reeling. The French assault began Friday after Islamist insurgents seized Konna, prompting a call for help from the Malian government to both France and the United Nations.

Then on Monday, insurgents overwhelmed the rice farming village of Diabaly, about 215 miles north of Bamako, Mali’s capital, surprising both the French and Malian government officials.

Day and night bombing raids had not dislodged the rebels from the Diabaly, Le Drian said, and a convoy of French troops was reported to be on the way to the village.

A ground offensive on Diabaly would be the first infantry foray by French forces, which until now have confined their intervention to air assaults in support of Malian troops on the ground.

Le Drian said Malian soldiers have been "severely tested" in combat with the al Qaida-affiliated Islamists, who he said are far from “having given up their fight.”

French Defense Chief of Staff Adm. Edouard Guillaud said the rebels are well armed but that French officials do not believe they have portable surface-to-air missiles.

French aircraft have flown 50 missions against enemy positions, Guillaud said, some involving attacks on multiple targets.

Le Drian said France now had 1,700 French troops committed to the Mali operation, and that more were on the way. One French company of light armored vehicles, about 30 in all, also arrived Tuesday in Bamako.

He said 12 fighter aircraft, including two Mirage F-1CR, six Mirage 2000D and four Rafale jet fighters were involved in the air operations and that five C-135 tankers aircraft were involved in refueling. All the aircraft are stationed at a French base in N’Djamena, Chad.

Le Drian added that West African nations have pledged to contribute a total of 2,900 troops to the effort, though none has arrived yet.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Islamists seize a village in Mali as French forces continue to press attack

January 14, 2013 06:42 PM

world

France opens new front in terror war, sending troops to Mali to battle al Qaida-linked extremists

January 11, 2013 03:38 PM

world

Military action against al Qaida-linked extremists in Mali unlikely for months

November 29, 2012 06:38 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service