Military says Guantánamo hunger strike grows again | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Military says Guantánamo hunger strike grows again

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

April 24, 2013 12:37 PM

The number of hungers strikers has more than doubled since the U.S. military put most prisoners under lockdown at the U.S. Navy base at Guantánamo, the military said Wednesday, reporting that it now classified 92 of the captives as hunger strikers and was force feeding 17 of them.

Two were getting tube feedings at the prison camps hospital, said Army Lt. Col. Samuel House, but neither “currently have any life-threatening conditions.”

Defense lawyers for some detainees have insisted that about 130 of the 166 captives joined in the hunger strike two months ago, and accused the military of refusing to acknowledge it

House, acting prison camps spokesman, released the figures in a short email from the prison that noted the medical forces’ tally jumped from 84 captives on hunger strike Monday.

House said two captives who were hospitalized a day earlier were returned to their cells, and were not sent to other lockups at the sprawling prison camps compound, which has a psychiatric unit.

The military reported the hunger strike figure at 43 before soldiers stormed inside Guantánamo showcase communal prison April 13 and put nearly every captive at the prison camps complex under lockdown.

The military wont name the men on hunger strike.

But the Justice Department has notified attorneys of those being tube fed.

They include two Yemenis in their 30s: Samir Mukbel, whose attorney helped him tell his story recently in a column published in The New York Times, and Yasin Ismael, whose lawyer David Remes said he was notified that has client was among those being force fed last week. Also, attorney Carlos Warner said Tuesday evening that his Kuwait client, Fayez al Kandari, 35, was receiving forced feedings.

A spokesman at the Southern Command, which has oversight of the prison, attributed the rise in figures since the April 13 raid to a combination of troops being better able to see who is really forgoing food and anger by some captives over sudden solitary cell confinement after years of being allowed to tend for themselves.

According to the military, force feedings are carried out at Guantánamo by Navy medical staff after Army guards shackle a captive to a restraint chair.

The sailor then snakes a tube up the captive’s nose and feeds it into his stomach before pumping in a can of Ensure or other nutritional supplement. Medical staff at Guantánamo have said in the past that the process takes about an hour and is typically done twice a day to a malnourished hunger striker.

House said that the prison camps had “plenty of nutritional supplement on hand” as of Wednesday and there was no need to airlift additional supplies to the remote Navy base in southeast Cuba.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service