U.S. commander offers security assurances after Kabul suicide bombing | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. commander offers security assurances after Kabul suicide bombing

By Rezwan Natiq - McClatchy Foreign Staff

May 16, 2013 03:53 PM

Two U.S. soldiers and four American civilian security contractors died Thursday when a suicide bomber in a Toyota Corolla rammed into a military convoy in Afghanistan’s capital, security officials said.

The deadliest attack in Kabul since March, it also killed six Afghan civilians, including two children. At least 30 people were wounded.

The attack occurred at around 8 a.m. local time, security officials said. It targeted an American military convoy as it drove through the eastern part of the capital. An Afghan army base is nearby, but it wasn’t thought to have been a target.

The street was crowded with children on their way to school.

The U.S.-led coalition condemned the attack, noting that it took place “in a residential area of the most populated city in Afghanistan.”

The statement, attributed to Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, the American who commands the international coalition here, also attempted to counter arguments that the bombing underscored insurgents’ ability to carry out violence in the heart of the capital.

“While today’s attack shows the insurgents remain dangerous, they are not a threat to the Afghan government and its forces,” the statement said. “In the end, today’s tragedy shows that the insurgents can offer no positive vision for the future.”

A spokesman for a militant group led by Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, an insurgent commander who once served as Afghanistan’s prime minister, claimed responsibility. The spokesman, Haroon Zarghoon, said the attack had been carried out by a militant from Logar province. Hekmatyar’s group, Hezb-i-Islami, is a rival of the Taliban movement.

The Afghan government’s ability to fend off attacks has become an especially sensitive issue as U.S.-led international forces end their combat role. All American combat troops are to leave Afghanistan next year, and it’s yet to be determined how many, if any, U.S. troops will remain afterward to help train the Afghan military.

Moments after the blast, Afghan security forces sealed off the scene, worried that another suicide bomber might be in the area to target rescue workers and others flocking to the scene. Eventually, however, the area was opened to journalists.

According to witnesses interviewed at the scene, the Toyota headed straight toward the U.S. military vehicles, which had slowed apparently for a speed bump. The blast left a large crater in the road and damaged nearby houses.

Afghan Interior Minister Bismillah Mohammadi confirmed that six Afghans had died in the attack. Most of the wounded were schoolchildren, he said.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Reputation remake: Tilt-rotor Osprey wins fans in Afghanistan

May 09, 2013 12:19 PM

world

Drone cargo helicopters prove worth in Afghanistan, leading way to civilian uses

May 06, 2013 12:00 AM

world

Audit casts doubt on number of Afghan troops U.S. has trained

May 03, 2013 12:00 AM

world

Afghan spy chief Asadullah Khalid back in U.S. for medical care

May 02, 2013 05:09 PM

world

Afghan spy chief quietly returns to US for medical treatment

May 02, 2013 11:12 AM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service