Reprisals threatened for Beirut bombing in resurgently violent Lebanon | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Reprisals threatened for Beirut bombing in resurgently violent Lebanon

By Mitchell Prothero - McClatchy Foreign Staff

August 16, 2013 04:19 PM

The family of a man who was killed this week in the deadliest car bombing to hit Lebanon’s capital in decades said Friday that it would wait for orders from Hezbollah’s leadership before seeking revenge on Syrian rebels.

In turn, Hezbollah’s top leader responded to the developments with an eye-for-an-eye speech that suggested more cross-border involvement in the bloodshed that’s overwhelmed Syria.

It was a bracing sign that Thursday’s attack threatens to return Beirut and other parts of Lebanon to the violent chaos that ripped the country apart from the mid-1970s through the 1980s, stoked now by sectarian vengeance leaking across the border from the protracted Syrian civil war.

Hamad Maqdad, a Hezbollah fighter who ran a well-digging company, died Thursday when a car exploded across from his house. The blast, which killed at least 23 other people and wounded hundreds, harked back to the Lebanese civil war that ended in 1990.

A previously little-known group, the Brigades of Aisha, took responsibility for the blast. The outfit claimed that the attack was in retaliation for Hezbollah’s support for the regime in Syria as it battles primarily Sunni Muslim rebels in the neighboring country’s civil war.

“We will take our revenge as a family and as Shiite,” said Issa Maqdad, a Hezbollah fighter who’s a relative of the dead man. He placed blame on Sunnis with ties to Syrian rebels.

He spoke as dozens of armed men from the Maqdad family gathered across from a small mosque in southern Beirut. The scene was filled with crying and the firing of weapons into the air in a display of rage that mimicked much of the sentiment across heavily Shiite Muslim south Beirut.

“You see us. We are all gunmen here, but we are disciplined,” said Abu Rida, a military commander for Hezbollah and the Maqdad family. “We will wait for (Hezbollah chief) Hasan Nasrallah to tell us what the next move is. But we will get our revenge.”

In an effort to head off the numerous calls for revenge, Lebanese security officials announced on Friday the arrests of several men in connection with Thursday’s bombing as well as for a car bombing in July that wounded dozens.

One Syrian man arrested last month has said he helped prepare a series of booby-trapped vehicles and car bombs for use in attacks, security officials told local media.

Hezbollah security officials said a suicide bomber in a black BMW sedan carried out Thursday’s attack after the militant Shiite group’s security men tried to stop the vehicle to search it amid an ongoing security crackdown in southern Beirut.

“I watched the security tape,” said one commander responsible for security in a nearby neighborhood. He spoke anonymously because he wasn’t authorized to talk to reporters. “Our boys were chasing him and told him to get out of the car and when he did, he detonated the bomb.”

The commander said the Hezbollah security team was killed in the blast.

Tensions have been rising steadily in Lebanon as the Syrian civil war has taken on an increasingly sectarian nature. A predominately Sunni, and increasingly Islamist, rebellion is attempting to wrest power from Hezbollah’s key ally in Damascus. With many Lebanese Sunnis supportive of the rebellion against Syrian President Bashar Assad’s regime and suspicious of Hezbollah’s expansive power in Lebanon, violence between the communities has become increasingly commonplace.

As night fell Friday, Nasrallah began to address his followers on a video from a previously planned ceremony celebrating the 2006 war with Israel. After a speech about the war, Nasrallah turned to the bombing and taunted the attackers as cowards.

“You can’t confront us face to face,” he said. “These bombings are neither the beginning of the battle nor the end of the battle.”

Fervent Hezbollah supporters weathered steaming temperatures and a long afternoon sitting in a field near the Israeli border to watch a video feed of the speech. Nasrallah cannot safely appear in public.

“We know the names of the men who planted this bomb,” Nasrallah said, describing those behind the bombing as a group of “Palestinians, Syrians and, unfortunately, Lebanese.”

If the bombings were intended to discourage Hezbollah from involvement in the Syrian war, Nasrallah said, they didn’t work.

“If we have 1,000 fighters in Syria, then I will double it. If we have 5,000, then it will be 10,000. I will go and fight in Syria myself,” he shouted as celebratory gunfire echoed through the streets of southern Beirut.

His words found an eager audience.

“He just opened the door wide,” a Hezbollah commander who was watching the speech said with a grin. “He went all the way with this.”

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Blast hits Hezbollah area in Beirut, showing spread of Syria conflict

August 15, 2013 06:30 PM

world

War in Syria stokes feuds between Lebanese clans

August 13, 2013 06:03 PM

world

Kidnapping threats escalate in Lebanon, neighboring Syria

August 12, 2013 04:51 PM

world

Lebanon probing link between bomb factory where 2 died and Syrian war

August 05, 2013 06:08 PM

world

Arrests in attacks on Hezbollah suggest Lebanon closing in on Syrian rebel group

July 25, 2013 05:47 PM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service