A pirate's life: Fake film project nabs Somalia's Big Mouth | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

A pirate's life: Fake film project nabs Somalia's Big Mouth

Matthew Schofield McClatchy Foreign Staff - McClatchy Interactive

October 16, 2013 04:50 AM

BERLIN The Belgian police plot to capture alleged Somali pirate sponsor Mohamed Abdi Hassan is being described as elaborate, tricky, ingenious.

But as Hassan takes pride in the nickname “Afweyne,” or “Big Mouth,” it probably shouldn’t have been a surprise that the allure of bright lights and fame led to his arrest. Belgian police put together a fake film project about Somali pirates. Hassan flew to Brussels willingly, thinking he was signing a contract to advise filmmakers on a documentary.

Instead, according to Belgian police, as he left the plane Saturday, he was arrested. He has now been charged with hijacking, kidnapping and running a criminal organization, according to press reports. The charges revolve around what authorities insist was his 2009 seizure of the Belgian dredger Pompeii, and the $2.7 million ransom he extracted for the release of the ship and its crew.

In a statement, Belgian Prosecutor Johan Delmulle said, “He's one of the most important and infamous kingpin pirate leaders, responsible for the hijacking of dozens of commercial vessels from 2008 to 2013."

Hassan, now 60, had reason to think he was worthy of a film. His story has elements of Hollywood written into it.

Beyond allegedly running one of the world’s most notorious pirate gangs, and also allegedly controlling a criminal empire that dealt in khat (a commonly chewed plant that acts like an upper, and which has been classified as a drug by many national drug agencies).

Earlier this year, he added a Hollywood twist to this story when he very publicly announced his retirement from swashbuckling.

He said at the time that he planned to work with young people to convince them that the pirates’ life was not for them.

The police sting took several months to complete, and began when undercover agents in Somalia approached  a friend of his named Tiiceey, who was arrested with him.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service