The chaos in Benghazi really never stops | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

The chaos in Benghazi really never stops

By Mel Frykberg - McClatchy Foreign Staff

October 16, 2013 01:19 PM

The mayhem of Libya continues, enough so that it is difficult to stay up on everything going on there. But here're some recent events that give just a flavor. After the abduction last week of Prime Minister Ali Zeidan by Libyan security force members associated with the Interior Ministry, which took place in Tripoli, the capital, the action has shifted back to Benghazi, where insecurity is the order of the day.

-- Malta’s foreign ministry ordered its consul, Joe Pirotta, to leave Benghazi after what it described as a credible threat to his safety. Pirotta and his wife flew back to Malta on Saturday.

-- A day earlier, the Swedish-Finnish consulate in Benghazi was hit by a car bomb. The building suffered extensive damage, but no one was hurt.

-- On Tuesday, a parcel bomb exploded in a flower stall next to Benghazi’s private Marwa Hospital. There were no deaths or injuries mainly because it was a public holiday and few people were around.

-- Assassinations of military, judicial and security officials continued unabated, bringing to well 100 men who've been murdered since the overthrow of Moammar Gadhafi in 2011. Two army soldiers had their throats slit Tuesday morning by suspected militants as they were sleeping at Benghazi Joint Operations Room battalion’s base at Ras Al Mingar. Also on Tuesday policeman Islam Faraj Assosa died instantly when a bomb blew up under his car in Benghazi. Sheikh Abdussalam Al-Hassi, the imam who was gravely injured when a bomb blew up under his car on Friday, died on Sunday. The imam was said to have been a Salafist, a group that is not particularly popular in Benghazi at present, but he was not outspoken. Although he had criticized the wave of killings in the city he had not accused anyone in particular.

Rumors that the government would declare a state of emergency in Benghazi have been denied by the authorities.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national-security

Al Libi pleads not guilty in U.S. embassy bombings

October 15, 2013 03:30 PM

national-security

Alleged plotter in ’98 U.S. Embassy bombings held in N.Y.

October 14, 2013 07:51 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service