Explosions at Iranian embassy in Beirut injure hundreds | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Explosions at Iranian embassy in Beirut injure hundreds

By Mitchell Prothero - McClatchy Foreign Staff

November 19, 2013 08:22 AM

Two suicide attacks in rapid succession devastated the Iranian embassy and surrounding areas in southern Beirut Tuesday morning, killing tens of people and throwing an already tense Lebanon into further disarray as more violence apparently linked to the civil war in neighboring Syria hit the capital.

A shadowy al Qaida styled group -- the Abdullah Azzam Brigades -- claimed responsibility in a statement that cannot be verified but the Lebanese organization said attacks on Hezbollah and Iran would continue until both withdraw their military support for the embattled Syrian regime.

Both witnesses and the Lebanese Army described the first attacker as riding a motorcycle packed with a small explosive charge that targeted the Iranian Embassy’s heavy external security, followed a few moments later by a much larger bomb that targeted the building itself.

“There was an explosion then after a bit, another much larger explosion,” said Mahmoud Abbas, who sells coffee from a pushcart near the embassy, which sits in an affluent area of southern Beirut that is home to luxury apartments and embassies in an area widely considered under the control of the Shiite militant group Hezbollah.

The Lebanese Health Ministry said at least 23 bodies had been recovered and that a search for additional victims continued. Local media said that at least 200 people were wounded in blast. Initial reports that Iran’s cultural attaché had been killed were later retracted as the Iranian Ambassador to Lebanon, Ghazanfar Rokn Abadi, announced that Sheikh Ibrahim al Ansari had suffered severe head wounds but had survived.

At least two Iranian’s and several Hezbollah security personnel died in Tuesday’s attacks.

The explosion reinforced a widespread belief among Lebanon’s strongly pro-Hezbollah Shiite population that it would remain a target of jihadist groups that have flooded Syria in an effort to expel Hezbollah’s key ally, President Bashar al Assad. A series of two other car bombs and several rocket attacks on the area over the summer led to extreme security measures by Hezbollah who has security autonomy from the Lebanese government.

“They are not Muslims, they are animals,” said Miriam, a local resident as she went to find her children at a nearby school. “They will never stop attacking us.”

Much of southern Beirut remains under tight Hezbollah and Lebanese Army and police security, including extraordinary measures during last week’s religious Shiite commemoration that saw the area shut to street traffic and armed patrols covering entrances and key areas. Although Hezbollah maintains a strong security presence around its top ally and patron’s embassy, the area itself is located away from Hezbollah’s office complex in a nearby neighborhood.

“The embassy isn’t in the [security zone],” said a harried Hezbollah security official in a brief phone call after the blast. “Embassy’s have to be open, they’re very hard to protect.”

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service