Fates unknown for Westerners believed held by besieged al Qaida group in Syria | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Fates unknown for Westerners believed held by besieged al Qaida group in Syria

By Mitchell Prothero - McClatchy Foreign Staff

January 07, 2014 08:02 PM

The fates of dozens of missing Western journalists and aid workers may be in the balance as fighting rages between Syrian rebels and their onetime al Qaida-linked allies from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.

At least 10 missing foreigners are thought to have been held by the group in its strongholds in Raqqa and Aleppo provinces, where the group has been battling to maintain its hold for the past five days.

But with the exception of a Turkish journalist who was released, none of the missing foreigners had been accounted for as of Tuesday evening.

“This is a very dangerous time for the many foreign journalists who have been held hostage by ISIS for months,” said Peter Bouckaert of Human Rights Watch, who has worked on several of the cases. “The counter-ISIS offensive offers some hope that they could be freed, but there is a grave danger that their ISIS captors will execute them as they lose ground, as they have already done with some of their Syrian captives.”

The brutal nature of the intra-rebel fighting has seen both sides executing captured opponents. No foreigner has been known to be among the dead, however.

ISIS has faced widespread accusations – from fellow rebels and international and local human rights activists – of engaging in a campaign of terror against not only rival rebel factions and the secular civil activists that initially helped start the revolt against President Bashar Assad in early 2011, but also against local and foreign journalists.

Hundreds of Syrians have gone missing in ISIS-controlled areas, with released prisoners telling harrowing tales of appalling detention conditions, torture and even execution.

As many as 30 foreign journalists and aid workers also have disappeared in Syria. Some of those are believed to be held by the government, while others are thought to be held by ISIS and other rebel factions. A precise number being held, however, is difficult to come by since many of the abductions have been kept secret by family and employers.

There have been few ransom demands known to have been made for the release of the missing Westerners, something that security industry professionals said sets the Syrian civil war apart from other conflicts.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” said one industry expert who had worked on kidnappings in Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia and West Africa before Syria. “Even offers to pay for something as simple as a proof of life, proof that a certain group is holding someone, have usually gone nowhere. Westerners that go missing inside Syria often appear to have vanished off the face of the Earth.”

The expert asked not be identified because of the nature of his work and because he’s representing several families with missing members in Syria who did not authorize his discussing the matter with a reporter.

American journalists Austin Tice and James Foley, whose disappearances have been acknowledged by their families, have been missing for more than a year. People close to each case say that who’s holding them remains uncertain.

In the past month, the families of Javier Espinosa and Ricardo Garcia, Spanish journalists missing since October, released a statement that said both men are believed held by ISIS in Raqqa, a provincial capital that ISIS controlled and that is now is the focus of fighting. Various news organizations have admitted that another Spanish citizen, along with four French, two Swedes, one Lebanese, a Jordanian and a Ukrainian, are also missing. At least three other Americans and a British citizen are known to be missing, though the families have requested that their identities not be publicized.

Syria was recently highlighted as perhaps the most dangerous country to report from by the Committee to Protect Journalists based on the kidnapping epidemic alone.

With the attitude toward Western journalists uncertain even among the rebel groups attacking ISIS – one, the Nusra Front, also is an al Qaida affiliate accused of kidnapping Westerners – some fear that the current anti-ISIS fighting might develop into mere transfers of captivity rather than rescues.

Bouckaert said, however, that that might be an improvement for the hostages. “Anything is better than ISIS,” he said.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service