Egyptian court run-around thwarts defendants seeking to appeal | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Egyptian court run-around thwarts defendants seeking to appeal

By Amina Ismail and Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Foreign Staff

January 08, 2014 06:28 PM

Hundreds of high-profile court cases, including one involving former President Mohammed Morsi, were delayed Wednesday for logistical reasons that defense lawyers said were colored by political considerations and an effort to suppress defendants’ rights to due process.

Morsi, whom the country’s military ousted in July, was scheduled to appear before a court at Cairo’s Police Academy on charges of killing protesters. But the proceeding was postponed until Feb. 1 after officials said they couldn’t fly Morsi via helicopter from his prison cell in Alexandria because of foggy weather.

That delay pushed the case until after two key upcoming events, the referendum next Tuesday on a new constitution and the third anniversary Jan. 25 of the uprising that led to the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak.

“The decision was inspired by the political circumstances – which require that he doesn’t appear,” defense lawyer Osama el-Helw was quoted in news reports as saying. Morsi’s “appearance will inspire his supporters.”

Across town, scores of appeals by people who’ve been detained went unheard because defense attorneys couldn’t find the courtrooms where hearings were to be held.

Lawyers said the government had moved or adjourned sessions without notifying them, a cat-and mouse game that’s becoming increasingly common since the government began to crack down on the Muslin Brotherhood specifically and political dissent in general.

Among the unheard cases were those of Ahmed Maher, one of the founders of the April 6 Youth Movement, and political activist Ahmed Douma. The two men were sentenced last month to three years in prison for holding a protest against the new government without its permission, a crime since November.

In addition, motions for release pending trial had been rejected for 385 Morsi supporters who were arrested Aug. 14 during violent clashes between protesters and security forces. At least 1,100 people were killed during protests that day.

The 385 prisoners had been held for five months on charges that include inciting violence, rioting, assaulting public and private property, belonging to a banned group and disabling the constitution, according to the lawyers.

“They are accusing all 385 with the same crimes,” lawyer Mustafa Diab, who’s 31, told McClatchy as he stood with colleagues outside a courtroom. “All of those accusations are only based on the detectives’ investigations. There are no evidence or witnesses in the case.”

Cairo’s appeals court, in the Tora prison complex, was set Wednesday to hear the cases, or so the lawyers thought. But as is becoming frequent, the lawyers who gathered for the appeal found that the cases had been moved without notice to another court. That left the lawyers stumped about not only who’d hear the cases, but also the whereabouts of their clients, who’d been transferred to wherever the cases were to be heard.

Wednesday morning, a bevy of lawyers stood outside the Tora complex and waited to be let in. Some had traveled across the country to make their case for the Morsi protesters. Others were representing Maher and Douma. The two camps disagree politically, but that didn’t matter as they swapped information on whether the hearings would take place. No one knew.

A police officer approached them and curtly said: “The cases have been postponed till tomorrow. If there were going to be trials today, there would be more security.”

Expecting this, the lawyers in both camps had stationed colleagues at other appeals court buildings. They then called those courthouses to see whether their defendants and cases would be heard there instead.

The government has “certain tactics to distract you and slow the case,” Maher lawyer Mohamed Gahin explained. “We have lawyers at two courts. We can play, too.”

Gahin learned that the case had indeed been delayed until Thursday. The protesters’ lawyers weren’t so lucky. It took them hours to discover the status of their cases.

Upon realizing the appeals wouldn’t be heard at Tora, the group moved downtown to the High Court, where a second batch of lawyers had heard that their clients’ cases could proceed.

In a long, narrow and mildew-ridden hallway in one of Egypt’s biggest court compounds, at least 30 lawyers gathered in front of a courtroom waiting for the new court’s decision on their appeals.

A deputy prosecutor told the lawyers to go to another administrative office in the compound. Once there, they were told that the session should have taken place in the court for District 17 but that all the judges had left. Yet when the lawyers scurried to District 17, they found the judges still there, so they asked the judges to consider their appeal. The judges huddled to consider what to do.

“Probably the decision will be to imprison the lawyers and reject the appeal,” one of the lawyers joked as they waited.

After two hours, a court worker came out from behind a huge wooden door and said, “Appeal of the 385 has been rejected.” There was no further explanation.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Is the secret to Egypt’s descent found in how Egyptians treat each other?

January 07, 2014 05:14 PM

world

Visit with jailed Al Jazeera correspondent finds him healthy, haggard

January 06, 2014 05:50 PM

world

Egyptian court’s suspension of jail terms for activists seen as intimidation tactic

January 05, 2014 03:23 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service