Yemeni leader says al Qaida fighters there include Brazilians, Europeans | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Yemeni leader says al Qaida fighters there include Brazilians, Europeans

By Adam Baron - McClatchy Foreign Staff

April 29, 2014 06:31 PM

The Yemeni government launched an ambitious ground offensive Tuesday targeting strongholds of al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula militants in the southern provinces of Abyan and Shabwa as President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi sought to draw public attention to the rising number of foreign fighters who’ve traveled to Yemen to fight for the group.

At least 18 Yemeni soldiers and 12 militants were killed in the first day of fighting in what’s likely the Yemeni army’s most significant action since spring 2012, when troops backed by local tribal fighters forced AQAP-affiliated militants to abandon their strongholds in the west of Abyan province, where they’d set up a state within a state.

Speaking at a graduation ceremony at Sanaa’s Police Academy, Hadi defended the offensive Tuesday, alleging that the bulk of AQAP’s fighters were foreigners.

“Whoever is doubtful of that among our brothers should go to the morgues and see the corpses of people whose countries have refused to accept them,” he said. “They’re from Brazil, the Netherlands, Australia, France and other foreign countries.”

Hadi’s statement was a salvo in the government’s propaganda war against the militant group, which has been able to use Yemenis’ grievances against their government to rally support. By highlighting the presence of so many foreigners, he hopes to show that al Qaida’s agenda is not a Yemeni one.

But the remarks also reflected what many security officials have said is an alarming rise in foreign fighters joining AQAP, many of whom have been fighting in Syria previously.

AQAP has long had a significant contingent of non-Yemenis, given that it was formed by a merger in 2009 of al Qaida’s Yemeni and Saudi branches. But according to Yemeni officials, the past three months have seen a noticeable increase in the numbers of Saudi extremists heading to the country to join AQAP, the result of continuing fighting between extremist groups in Syria and an effort by other Arab countries, particularly Saudi Arabia, to decrease the flow of foreign fighters to Syria.

The battle between two jihadi groups, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria and the Nusra Front, for control of northern and eastern Syria has drawn some of the most extreme fighters to Yemen, the officials say. That’s because key groups in Yemen have voiced their support for ISIS, though AQAP has officially struck a neutral tone.

“Yemen is a logical place for ISIS sympathizers to head,” said a Yemeni official briefed on security matters, speaking only on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic.

The presence of the jihadis will complicate the government’s offensive.

“What Hadi said is not new to us. Not only are many members of AQAP foreigners, but many Yemenis within the group were raised abroad,” said Abdulghani al Iryani, a Sanaa-based political analyst. “It’s going to be a tough battle.”

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service