Archbishop defends church teachings before U.N. panel, calls abortion ‘torture’ of unborn | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Archbishop defends church teachings before U.N. panel, calls abortion ‘torture’ of unborn

By John Zarocostas - McClatchy Foreign Staff

May 07, 2014 11:54 AM

The Vatican’s representative to a United Nations panel probing the Roman Catholic Church’s handling of child sexual abuse on Tuesday equated abortion to torture and said the U.N. panel’s focus on the church’s teachings on the subject was inappropriate.

In response to questions by panel members over whether the church’s prohibition of abortion had led to violations of the U.N.’s Convention Against Torture, the Vatican representative, Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, said, “We consider the right to life as a non-negotiable.”

The Holy See does not consider abortion or abortion services to be a dimension of reproductive health, or reproductive health services, Tomasi noted. He argued abortions also amount to torture.

“The Holy See is in agreement with, and as directed by the convention itself, condemns torture, including for those who are tortured and killed before they are born,” he said.

Tomasi cited statistics from Canada, where he said 622 babies born alive after a failed abortion between 2002 and 2011 had been left to die. In 2005, he said, 66 babies suffered similar deaths in the United Kingdom.

“Such cruel methods of late abortions truly constitute torture, especially through the use of evacuation techniques, where the baby, still alive, is dismembered and than pulled out of the womb in pieces,” he said.

Tomasi’s testimony came as panel members cited cases where women and girls, some as young as nine, had undergone abortions to save their lives and then been subjected to humiliating and degrading treatment often at the hands of priests. Tomasi denied that any Vatican official had been involved in such cases.

Tomasi also revealed statistics on what actions the church had taken against priests who had sexually abused children.

He said that between 2004 and 2013, the church had dismissed 848 clerics and had disciplined 2,572, out of 3,420 credible cases examined. He said the pope himself, either the current one, Francis I, or his predecessor, Benedict XVI, had dismissed 340 priests since 2010 for engaging in child sexual abuse. That included 43 last year, 70 in 2012, 143 in 2011 and 84 in 2010.

“It’s clear the issue of sexual abuse of children which is a worldwide plague and scourge, has been addressed in the last ten years by the Church in a systematic, constructive, and effective way,” he said.

The submission of the detailed statistics came in the second day of a two-day session into whether the church’s treatment of child sexual abuse and its teachings on reproductive rights amount to torture or cruel and inhuman or degrading treatment.

The panel is slated to present its closing observations, and recommendations, on May 23.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story omitted full identification for the Vatican representative, Archbishop Silvano Tomasi.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service