Syrian Islamists’ call for a free state likely directed at West | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Syrian Islamists’ call for a free state likely directed at West

By Mitchell Prothero - McClatchy Foreign Staff

May 19, 2014 03:40 PM

The largest coalition of Islamist rebels in Syria issued a manifesto over the weekend that calls for the increasingly fractious rebels to unite around the notion of liberating the country from the government of President Bashar Assad and installing a free state that will protect the rights of religious minorities, not an Islamist state.

The position spelled out in the statement, titled the “Revolutionary Manifesto of the Islamic Front,” marked a reversal of a policy articulated last year that called for creating an Islamist state after the defeat of Assad. Analysts and observers agreed that the statement seemed directed at the international community, particularly the United States, which has been reluctant to support widespread military aid for the rebels over concerns about radicalism.

The statement, which was released as an audio posting on jihadi websites, was said to have the support of the Islamic Front’s leadership, including Hassan Abboud, the leader of a conservative militant group, Ahrar al Sham, whose founders included members of al Qaida and which previously had espoused developing an Islamic emirate as a predecessor to the return of a caliphate to rule all Muslim lands. Ahrar al Sham is thought to be the largest group in the Islamic Front.

The statement was immediately attacked by the most radical groups in the anti-Assad movement, al Qaida’s Nusra Front and the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, an al Qaida-inspired group that’s broken with al Qaida over tactics in Syria. Analysts said the denunciation of the statement by Nusra and ISIS lent it credibility as a sincere policy position.

The manifesto “seems sincere considering the rabid response against it by (Nusra) and its supporters/sympathetic ideologues,” said Aaron Zelin, who studies radical Islamist groups as a fellow at the Institute for Near East Policy in Washington.

Whether it will influence the Obama administration’s reluctance to authorize aid for the Islamic Front remains to be seen. Zelin acknowledged that Ahrar al Sham’s acquiescence to the new position was “weird,” considering the group’s al Qaida connections.

Nusra, perhaps the rebel group closest to Ahrar al Sham, didn’t release an official statement. But its supporters took to the Internet to denounce the move as a betrayal of core jihadist principles. ISIS members openly mocked the notion that any group other than it can be trusted to pursue jihadist ambitions.

“In case you haven’t noticed,” wrote one pro-ISIS activist on Twitter, using the handle ShamiWitness, “both IF-FSA and Assad are on same side: The degenerate nation-state. Both fighting for this carcass of the past.” IF-FSA was a reference to the Islamic Front and the U.S.-backed Free Syrian Army rebel coalition.

The new statement said that while the Islamic Front pursued a revolution based on its religion, it was “staying away from fundamentalism and radicalism.”

The document acknowledged the different religious and political compositions of the rebel movement, which includes secular activists as well as battle-hardened foreign jihadis. It said it would cooperate with any movements or foreign supporters but that military decisions must remain solely in the hands of Syrian fighters _ a seeming rejection of the foreign components of not only ISIS but also the Nusra Front, which continues to have a substantial foreign presence.

“The Syrian revolution . . . is based on morals and values with the objective of achieving freedom, justice and security to the entire Syrian society with its diverse multi-ethnic and multi-sectarian social fabric,” the statement says. “The Syrian people aim to establish a state of law, freedom and justice without any pressure or dictations.”

Whether the manifesto will strengthen or weaken the Islamic Front remains to be seen. Zelin noted that since massive infighting between ISIS and the other Syrian rebel groups began in January, the Islamic Front appears to have lost members to Nusra and ISIS. He suggested the statement might be in response to pressure from Saudi Arabia and the United States for a show of moderation before aid flows increase.

“I think a lot of this may be as a result of coercion from state donors, especially now that IF/Ahrar are indeed not as powerful, relatively speaking, as earlier in the year,” Zelin said.

Another analyst, Aymenn al Tamimi, who studies Iraqi and Syrian jihadist groups for the Philadelphia-based Middle East Forum, agreed that Ahrar al Sham may be moving toward a more moderate stance to attract donors.

But Tamimi also noted that Ahrar al Sham’s roots are in al Qaida.

“I am waiting for the moment when Hassan Abboud removes his Twitter avatar of Abu Khalid al Suri,” he said, referring to an associate of Osama bin Laden who was assassinated earlier this year in Syria.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service