Vietnam accuses China in sinking of fishing boat in disputed South China Sea | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Vietnam accuses China in sinking of fishing boat in disputed South China Sea

By Stuart Leavenworth - McClatchy Foreign Staff

May 27, 2014 12:44 AM

Vietnam on Monday accused a Chinese fishing boat of ramming and sinking a Vietnamese vessel not far from where the two countries have clashed over a Chinese oil rig in the South China Sea.

Xinhua, China’s official news agency, said the Vietnamese boat capsized “after harassing and colliding with a Chinese fishing boat.”

The sinking marks a serious escalation in the conflict between the two countries, which earlier this month triggered deadly anti-China riots in Vietnam and threats of reprisals from Beijing.

The incident occurred about 17 nautical miles southwest from where the Chinese have been installing an oil rig, according to Vietnam’s Tuoi Tre News. According to the report, some 40 Chinese fishing boats had surrounded several Vietnamese vessels, when one the one of the Chinese boats rammed and sank a Vietnamese boat with 10 crew aboard.

Quoting the Vietnamese Foreign Ministry, Tuoi Tre reported that all crew members were rescued by other Vietnamese boats in the area. All of the Vietnamese boats were from the central city of Da Nang.

According to Voice of America’s Vietnamese service, Vietnam has reported that China wounded four of its fisheries surveillance officers by firing water canons at them.

The deputy head of the Vietnam Fisheries Surveillance Department, Ha Le, said that almost all of Vietnam’s vessels have been damaged by attacks from China’s vessels.

“We are now fighting by peaceful means, by propagandizing against China’s illegal invasion. In addition, we try to avoid any intentional clashes with Chinese vessels to minimize damages and casualties on our end,” the VOA quoted Ha Le as saying.

Crowds in Vietnam started protesting and rioting after it was reported two weeks ago that China was moving an oil drilling platform, the Haiyang Shiyou 981, into contested waters in the South China Sea, about 140 miles from Vietnam. China and Vietnamese boats rammed each other, with the Chinese reportedly firing water cannons.

China increasingly is asserting control over a vast area of the South China Sea that it first claimed in the late 1940s. The area is a traditional fishing ground for several countries and is thought to contain significant deposits of oil and natural gas.

Chinese boats have clashed with both the Philippines and Vietnam over contested waters and reefs in recent months. The Philippines has filed an arbitration case against China at a United Nations tribunal in the Hague, and Vietnam, a communist country, is considering joining Manila, a longtime adversary and U.S. ally, in the arbitration.

Following the riots, China sent ships to Vietnam and evacuated thousands of its citizens. On Monday, China urged Vietnam to step up its prosecutions of those responsible for the riots against Chinese factories and others that rioters thought had Chinese connections. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said that two people had been arrested in Vietnam.

“We do not think the punishment is enough,” he said at a daily news briefing.

The two countries fought a three-week war in 1979, after more than 200,000 Chinese troops invaded Vietnam as punishment for Hanoi’s invasion and ouster of Chinese ally Pol Pot, leader of the Khmer Rouge. Tens of thousands of soldiers and civilians died in the fighting, which has been rarely acknowledged by the two countries since the war ended.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service