In heaviest fighting since August, Kurds turn back Islamic State assault near Irbil | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

In heaviest fighting since August, Kurds turn back Islamic State assault near Irbil

By Mitchell Prothero - McClatchy

January 11, 2015 03:40 PM

Islamic State fighters killed at least 30 Kurdish militia members in fierce fighting over the weekend, the heaviest combat near Irbil, the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan, since the U.S. began airstrikes last August.

The fighting took place on the outskirts of Gwer, the same town 30 miles outside of Irbil whose capture by Islamic State militants in early August helped prompt the U.S. aerial intervention, and began Saturday morning when hundreds of Islamic State fighters crossed a small river in boats in hopes of outflanking Kurdish militia who’ve occupied Gwer for the last five months.

At least 24 Kurdish militia, known as the peshmerga, and members of the Kurdistan internal security service, the Assaysh, were killed Saturday before a fierce counterattack drove the attackers out of Gwer and into the contested village of Sultan Abdullah. U.S. airstrikes played a critical role, with the U.S. Central Command reporting the destruction of 21 boats that the Islamic State had used to cross the river.

In an interview Sunday at his command post just a few hundred meters from the front lines, Sirwan Barzani, nephew of the Kurdish President Masoud Barzani, said that the Islamic State had attacked their positions again Sunday morning with armored vehicles, mostly looted from the Iraqi Army after its collapse in Mosul last June, but that newly arrived heavy weaponry allowed the Kurdish forces to repel the attack.

“The situation is stable now,” he said in the late afternoon as his forces fired Katusha rockets and a Soviet-era 105mm howitzer from nearby positions. “We have captured several of their vehicles and will put them back to use,” he said. He also said his forces had destroyed several other Islamic State vehicles with German-supplied Milan anti-tank missiles.

Barzani said Kurdish troops had recovered at least 17 bodies of dead Islamic State fighters and had paraded them in nearby villages because “seeing dead terrorists is good for the morale of the people.”

Kurdish officers on the scene said that at least six peshmerga fighters had been killed Sunday, bringing the weekend’s total dead for the Kurdish forces to at least 30, a strikingly high number of casualties in a short period for the peshmerga, which has lost about 800 members since the Islamic State took over much of northern Iraq in June.

Gwer and the nearby town of Mahmour mark a strategic front line that controls the southern approaches to Irbil as well as to oil fields and power plants coveted by the Islamic State. Militants took control of both places in a surprise attack in August that brought home that the peshmerga was ill-equipped to counter the Islamic State, which had looted thousands of vehicles and heavy weapons from Iraqi army stockpiles in its push through northern and central Iraq.

While Kurdish forces retook the two towns in late August with the help of U.S. airstrikes, the Islamic State has held onto territory just outside them.

“It has taken us nearly six months to retake the road you drive to get to this position,” a peshmerga fighter told a McClatchy reporter from a location overlooking the village of Sultan Abdullah. “I have been fighting in the same 10 square kilometers for five months.”

International military aid, primarily heavy weapons from Germany and ammunition and small arms from the United States, along with improved relations with the central government in Baghdad, have improved Kurdish military capabilities, fighters interviewed Sunday said. They were especially thankful for Milan anti-tank missiles from Germany.

“The Milan from Germany is great and unlike August we have plenty of ammunition,” said Barzani.

Still, Barzani said Kurdish forces have been unable to dislodge the Islamic State. “But we can protect Irbil,” he said.

When asked if the peshmerga had enough manpower and equipment, one chubby fighter laughed.

“I’m a civil servant and studying for my PhD in the United Kingdom,” he laughed. “If we had what we needed, do you think I would be out here?”

“Look at me,” he added, pointing to his ample girth. “I’m not a solider, I don’t even know the names of half these weapons. I can only use this,” pointing to his Kalashnikov assault rifle.

“If we had enough men and equipment, I could go home, but this is my country and I will fight for it because there’s nobody else to do it,” he added.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service