Israel strike said to kill son of man U.S. blamed for Beirut bombings | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Israel strike said to kill son of man U.S. blamed for Beirut bombings

By Joel Greenberg - McClatchy Foreign Staff

January 18, 2015 06:18 PM

An Israeli helicopter strike in southern Syria on Sunday killed the son of an assassinated military leader of Hezbollah and two other commanders in the militant Lebanese group, according to officials and media reports in Lebanon.

The attack on a convoy near Quneitra, close to the Israeli-held Golan Heights, raised immediate fears of retaliation by Hezbollah, an Iranian-backed Shiite group that fought a month-long war with Israel in 2006.

The Israeli army refused to comment on the strike, but unnamed Israeli officials were cited in media reports as confirming that Israel carried out the attack. It was the first time Israel had targeted Hezbollah operatives in Syria since the start of the civil war there.

The Hezbollah-run al Manar news channel said two missiles were fired at a group of fighters “on a field inspection” and that several were killed. It said Israeli surveillance aircraft were overhead before the strike.

One of the dead was identified as Jihad Mughniyeh, a commander reportedly responsible for Hezbollah operations on the Syrian side of the Golan Heights. He had special status in the organization because he was the son of Imad Mughniyeh, Hezbollah’s military chief who died in a car bombing in Damascus in 2008 and had been on the United States’ most wanted list for involvement in the 1983 bombings of the Marine barracks and the U.S. Embassy in Beirut.

Along with Jihad Mughniyeh, the Israeli strike killed a field commander known as Abu Issa and another commander, Abu Ali Reza, who is of Iranian origin, according to Arab media reports.

The attack followed warnings last week by Sheik Hassan Nasrallah, the Hezbollah leader, that his forces might retaliate for what he said were repeated Israeli strikes in Syria. He said his group could penetrate northern Israel in a future conflict and had been stockpiling weapons, including long-range missiles, that could reach any part of Israel.

Agence France Presse cited an unidentified Israeli security source as saying that the strike targeted “terrorists” who were preparing an attack on Israeli-held territory in the Golan. Israeli media cited intelligence sources as saying that planned attacks included firing of anti-tank rockets and planting of explosive devices against Israeli patrols

Hezbollah militants have been supporting forces of Syrian President Bashar Assad in a four-year old conflict with opposition groups.

Israel has carried out several air strikes in Syria since the start of the civil war, reportedly targeting stockpiles of weapons, including missiles that Israeli officials said were destined for Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service