Restoration of military aid to Egypt gives U.S. new leverage on how it’s spent | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Restoration of military aid to Egypt gives U.S. new leverage on how it’s spent

By Hannah Allam - McClatchy Washington Bureau

March 31, 2015 07:14 PM

The Obama administration announced Tuesday that it was reinstating military assistance to Egypt that had been suspended after a bloody crackdown on opposition activists, a move that analysts say mutes U.S. calls for democratic reforms but also promises sweeping changes to the way aid has traditionally been given the country.

The White House said that President Barack Obama personally called Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi to deliver the news – an overture that comes as turmoil in the Middle East has the administration looking for partners that are more reliable than revolutionary.

U.S. officials said they’re now ready to provide additional military assistance, including releasing 12 F-16 aircraft, 20 Harpoon missiles, and up to 125 M1A1 Abrams tanks that had been blocked from delivery since 2013, when Egyptian forces killed more than 800 people and wounded thousands in what Human Rights Watch called “one of the world’s largest killings of demonstrators in a single day in recent history.” The Egyptian government puts the death toll at 638.

The episode drew international condemnation of Egypt’s powerful military council, which had seized power in a coup amid massive protests against Mohammed Morsi, a Muslim Brotherhood figure who was the first democratically elected president in Egyptian history. Sissi was head of the armed forces during the coup. He was elected president last year and since has cracked down on dissent, not only from Islamists, but leftists and moderates.

Analysts saw the U.S. move as a reflection of less concern for Egyptian human rights than for stability in a country battling Islamist extremists in the Sinai Peninsula and facing an unsettled situation in Libya, its neighbor to the west, where a civil war is allowing Islamists aligned with the Islamic State to flourish.

“Egypt has dropped down the list of priorities for the administration,” said Michael Hanna, an Egypt specialist at the Century Foundation research institute in New York. “Their determination is that this regime is in place, it’s not going anywhere, it’s stable, and our previous policy hasn’t gotten us very far. . . . Clearly, this is not about democratization.”

But Hanna said the announcement of the restoration of military aid also makes important changes in the way Egypt is allocated aid. The changes will allow the United States more say in how and what the Egyptian military buys, ending a practice called cash-flow financing, which essentially allowed Egypt to order military hardware from U.S. contractors on credit. The result locked the United States into paying for Egyptian purchases or leaving U.S. manufacturers with hundreds of millions of dollars in unpaid-for merchandise.

Hanna called the decision to phase out such purchases by 2018 as “the big headline,” giving the U.S. government more leverage to steer Egypt’s purchases away from tanks and jet aircraft to equipment more suited for counterterrorism and border security.

“Traditionally, the attempts to modernize the Egyptian military and change its priorities have been impossible. They just wouldn’t listen. They weren’t interested,” Hanna said. “The U.S. now has a stronger hand to play in trying to shape that acquisition process.”

National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan said U.S. officials had completed a comprehensive review of security assistance to Egypt in the wake of the lethal crackdown on demonstrators. Since then, she said, “we have made clear our commitment to simultaneously pursuing our security interests and our support for meaningful Egyptian political reform.”

“Throughout this process, the president’s national security team carefully examined our military assistance relationship with Egypt to determine what types of support make most sense – for the United States and for Egypt – under present conditions in Egypt and the region,” Meehan said in a statement.

The new priorities for Egyptian military assistance, the White House said, would be the “acquisition and sustainment of new equipment in four categories – counterterrorism, border security, maritime security, and Sinai security – and for sustainment for weapons systems already in Egypt’s arsenal.”

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service