Human rights groups slam Mexico in dispute over UN torture accusation | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Human rights groups slam Mexico in dispute over UN torture accusation

By Tim Johnson - McClatchy Foreign Staff

March 31, 2015 08:37 PM

A controversy over the use of torture in Mexico and whether the government has retreated on human rights and rule of law issues intensified Tuesday, with human rights groups denouncing the government of President Enrique Peña Nieto for his administration’s criticism of a United Nations official.

In a letter distributed Tuesday, more than two dozen human rights groups voiced “profound disgust” over his government’s pledge to stop working with the U.N. envoy for torture, who earlier this month declared that the use of torture had become “generalized” in Mexico.

The groups cited what they called an “alarming increase in the number of registered complaints over torture and mistreatment.”

Those signing the letter include groups such as the Institute for Security and Democracy, Freedom House Mexico and Citizens in Support of Human Rights, all of which receive international funding or have strong connections abroad.

The U.N. special envoy on torture, Juan Mendez, issued a scathing report in Geneva March 9 that said all levels of the Mexican security apparatus routinely use torture during interrogation.

“Torture and ill treatment during detention are generalized in Mexico, and occur in a context of impunity,” Mendez, an Argentine, said in the report.

Amid a backlash from Mexican government officials, Mendez later told reporters that his assertion, drawn after a visit to Mexico in April 2014, “is based on hundreds of testimonies that I personally collected during my visits to jails and detention facilities where almost everyone, including children, told me that they’d suffered acts of brutality during detention.”

Foreign Secretary Jose Antonio Meade later called Mendez “irresponsible and not very ethical,” and backed up his undersecretary for human rights, Juan Manuel Gómez Robledo, who said Mexico would no longer work with the U.N. envoy.

Gómez Robledo offered his own press conference Tuesday and reiterated that the government believes the Mendez report has “no basis in reality” but that Mexico remains open to “international scrutiny on human rights.”

He voiced an expectation that Mendez would not return to Mexico in an official capacity.

“The rapporteur usually only makes one trip to a country during his mandate. That is the practice,” Gómez Robledo said, according to a Foreign Secretariat transcript. “I don’t know of a single case in which the same rapporteur visited the same country twice.”

The undersecretary lambasted Mendez’s choice of the word “generalized” in reference to torture.

“It would be equivalent to saying that it happens in all 32 (states) in the three levels of government in every moment during the process, from detention until final sentencing and then while serving the (prison) term,” Gómez Robledo said.

The dispute comes amid rising troubles for Peña Nieto, whose popularity has slumped partly over the nation’s mediocre economic performance but also over conflict of interest charges and a horrific massacre last September.

In that mass killing, 43 students from a teachers college went missing in the city of Iguala in Guerrero state on Sept. 26 after local police working with an organized crime gang detained them. The attorney general declared in November that gangsters burned the students to death in a giant pyre at a rural garbage dump, although only a bone fragment from one body was ever located and proven to be from a missing student.

In their letter to Peña Nieto, the human and civil rights group alleged that his government is backsliding on a gamut of issues related to the rule of law.

It flayed his government’s “lack of recognition of the true situation of the country” and its “alarming disregard for the observations” of U.N. entities on human rights, saying the attitude “represents a setback for consolidation of democratic rule of law.”

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service