For first time,Turkey will let Armenians hold memorial for 1915 victims | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

For first time,Turkey will let Armenians hold memorial for 1915 victims

By Roy Gutman - McClatchy Foreign Staff

April 20, 2015 07:39 PM

For the first time ever, Turkey will permit Armenians to hold a religious service this week to commemorate the massacres and deportations of a century ago, Turkish officials said Monday. Turkey will even send a senior government official to attend.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu disclosed the gesture as he issued the second annual statement of condolences for the deaths of “innocent Ottoman Armenians” in what Armenia and a score of other countries call a genocide.

Officials said the government moved up the announcement of the service, scheduled for Friday, after the German government said it would support a motion in the German parliament to recognize the 1915 deportation and massacres as a genocide, something the United States, Britain, Israel and most of the rest of the world have thus far refused to do.

Armenia will mark the centennial of the mass killings this Friday in Yerevan, its capital, and Armenians living in Istanbul plan an informal rally in the city’s Taksim Square. But a religious service in the church of the Armenian Patriarch, with a government official in attendance, is not only a unique event but also another step by Turkey toward recognition of claims it has long denied.

April 24, 1915, was the date the Ottoman Empire, at war and nearing collapse, arrested several hundred Armenian political and cultural figures in Istanbul and deported them to central Anatolia. That launched a process of arrests, deportations and mass killings that all but emptied the Anatolian peninsula, today’s Turkey, of its Armenian population and left at least 1 million dead by late 1917, according to historical records.

“We, the descendants of nations belonging to different ethnic and religious origins . . . understand what the Armenians feel,” Davutoglu said in his statement. “We remember with respect the innocent Ottoman Armenians who lost their lives and offer our deep condolence to their descendants.”

It was both “a historical and a humane” duty for Turkey to “stand up for the memory of the Ottoman Armenians and the Armenian cultural heritage,” he said. With this in mind, he added that the Armenian Patriarchate would hold a religious ceremony.

Few here expect a positive response from Armenia, where officials are still furious that Turkey is staging a commemoration of its own on Friday, the centennial of the failed allied landing at Galipoli. In January, when Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan invited his Armenian counterpart to attend the Galipoli commemoration, Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan rejected it in an open letter to Erdogan that accused him of continuing Turkey’s “traditional policy of denialism” surrounding the Armenian genocide.

Earlier this month, Erdogan labeled as “nonsense” a statement by Pope Francis that called the events of 1915 “widely considered the first genocide of the 20th century.”

But Turkey’s efforts to continue to fight the genocide label for the Armenia expulsion may be a losing one. The latest setback was Germany’s decision Monday to declare the 1915 events a genocide. Germany had been reluctant to use the legal term, partly out of respect for Turkey, a major trading and NATO ally, and also because it has been slow to judge other countries in light of its role in the mass killing of Jews during World War II.

As recently as Sunday, German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier had rejected using the word in a television interview.

But Germany is in a unique position to reach its own judgment on the 1915 events in Ottoman Turkey, for the two countries were allies during World War I. German military and diplomatic officials were closely monitoring Turkey’s actions against Armenians and on more than one occasion urged a change of policy.

McClatchy special correspondent Duygu Guvenc contributed from Ankara.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service