Nusra takes credit for abducting U.S.-trained fighters in Syria | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Nusra takes credit for abducting U.S.-trained fighters in Syria

By Mitch Prothero

McClatchy Foreign Staff

July 31, 2015 04:20 PM

IRBIL, Iraq

An al Qaida-linked Syrian group Friday admitted that it had abducted a group of U.S.-trained Syrian rebels sent into the country to help with the ongoing international military effort to degrade the Islamic State.

In an unusual statement by the Nusra Front, which on Thursday denied that it had detained Nadim al Hassan and several of his men after they entered Syria from Turkey, the group reversed course and admitted kidnapping the men.

By Friday afternoon, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights described a series of clashes between Hassan’s men, known as the 30th Division, and the Nusra militants, with reports of deaths on both sides. Witnesses also said unknown aircraft, widely believed to be from the American-led air coalition, were supporting the moderate rebels in their fight against Nusra.

We, and the Sunni people in Syria, will not allow their sacrifices to be offered on a golden platter to the American side.

Nusra Front statement

Hassan and his men appear to have been seized from outside the Syrian city of Azaz after a lunch meeting with other rebels on Wednesday, just days after American-led warplanes targeted some Nusra positions and a week after the U.S. announced that a top Nusra official with close links to al Qaida had been killed in a drone strike in northern Syria.

“We warn soldiers of (Division 30) against proceeding in the American project,” the Nusra Front said in a statement distributed online. “We, and the Sunni people in Syria, will not allow their sacrifices to be offered on a golden platter to the American side.”

The Nusra statement went on to accuse the men of the 30th of having collaborated with the Americans on Friday’s airstrikes, which the Nusra statement said had “left a number of martyrs and wounded in our ranks.”

The Nusra Front has maintained a large degree of popularity with the Syrian people for its efforts to avoid infighting with other rebel groups and its focus on the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad. The group has targeted rebel groups with close ties to the Americans in the past, including crushing a U.S.-equipped brigade, Harakat Hazem, last year as well as defeating the mostly secular Syrian Revolutionary Front. In both cases the Nusra leadership described the groups as American agents that threatened Nusra’s deeply conservative jihadist ideology.

EDITORS: STORY CAN END HERE

The statement by the Nusra Front was rather detailed, arguing that the arrival of U.S.-backed groups on the battlefield posed a threat to the revolution.

“A few days ago the first of these groups entered – under the name of the Brigade of the 30th Infantry – into Syria after completing the training program and graduating to be the core of a so-called ‘national army,’” said the statement. “(Thus) it was the incumbent on the Al-Nusra Front to investigate and take caution of such projects, so we arrested a number of soldiers that band.”

The statement was reasonably conciliatory, arguing that the men detained would be taught that all Syrian revolutionaries must work together and not engage in communication with either the Syrian regime or American agents.

Prothero is a McClatchy special correspondent.

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service