New U.S.-backed offensive in northern Syria advances on ISIS outposts | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

New U.S.-backed offensive in northern Syria advances on ISIS outposts

By Roy Gutman and Zakaria Zakaria

McClatchy Foreign Staff

November 17, 2015 06:33 PM

ISTANBUL

U.S.-backed Arab militias began a new offensive against the Islamic State in eastern Syria this week, a bid to flush the extremists out of a key transit zone for fighters, weapons and oil, according to defected military officers leading the Arab group.

The attack on Tanaf, near the border town of Abu Kamal, was the latest sign that the U.S.-led international coalition has decided to focus on the oil-rich Syrian-Iraqi border area, where Arab tribes are highly motivated to fight to regain the cities and towns they lost to the Islamic State last year.

Last week, Kurdish peshmerga of the Kurdistan Regional Government in northern Iraq ousted the Islamic State from Sinjar, even as a force led by Syrian Kurds captured al Hawl, an oil-producing town in eastern Syria, near the Iraqi border. Both ground offensives were heavily backed by U.S. airstrikes.

The Arab offensive against Tanaf, which began Monday, is led by a new umbrella group that calls itself the New Syrian Army, which operates as part of the Authenticity and Development Front, a moderate Islamist grouping that claims 2,200 fighters operating in different parts of Syria. The offensive appears to involve no Kurdish forces.

A sheikh from the conservative Salafist strain of Islam, Khaled al Hammad, who resides in Saudi Arabia, leads the front.

Subunits of the front have won U.S. backing, arms and training, because they effectively fit the U.S. restrictions that their first aim must be to fight the Islamic State and not the government of President Bashar Assad.

EDITORS: BEGIN OPTIONAL TRIM

“We in eastern Syria will liberate our territory from the regime,” said a major in the New Syrian Army, who spoke with McClatchy in a telephone interview. “But there is no regime in eastern Syria.”

The officer, a defector from the Syrian army, said the force has military camps inside Syria but had received its training from the Friends of Syria, an international grouping that provides covert aid. He said he was under instructions to speak anonymously.

He declined to confirm a statement from a second military officer that U.S. helicopters had provided air support for the offensive. “If a target needs to be dealt with, we will deal with it,” he said. But he refused to say if the force could actually call in U.S. airstrikes, as Kurdish forces have been able to do for much of this year.

EDITORS: END OPTIONAL TRIM

Moderate rebel advances in the desert region are all tentative, owing in most instances to the withdrawal of the Islamic State forces, not their defeat. An example is al Hawl, which fell Friday to the combined force of the Kurdish YPG militia and the Arab Sanadid militia.

Iraqis in the Islamic State militia began retreating from al Hawl over the weekend to the nearby oil-producing town of Ash Shadaddi, and there are strong signs that the Islamic State also will retreat from there, to the town of al Mayadeen. But Syrians from al Hawl and Ash Shadaddi who joined the Islamic State have demanded that the Islamic State make a stand, and the Islamic State’s emir in Hasaka, an Iraqi, has promised a counteroffensive, Ash Shadaddi residents reported.

Zakaria is a McClatchy special correspondent. Roy Gutman @roygutmanmcc

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service