President Donald Trump announced Alexander Acosta as his new pick for secretary of labor during a news conference on Thursday at the White House. Acosta's nomination follows Andrew Puzder’s decision to withdraw his nomination.
">

“Clearly, Epstein received preferential treatment due to his wealth, race and political connections,” said Miami attorney Joel DeFabio, who — citing the Epstein case — tried unsuccessfully to obtain similar treatment for two clients accused of running prostitution rings involving minor girls.

“The charges against Epstein were outrageous, and the evidence was more than enough to obtain a conviction at trial. The fact that Epstein’s wealth enabled him to hire a stellar legal team should not be a valid reason for such a gross disparity in treatment,” DeFabio said. “This matter should be explored by the [Senate] confirmation committee to ensure that Acosta will be committed to equal treatment under the law of all Americans and that he will never give preferential treatment to the wealthy and politically connected.”

Whether to look into the Epstein case will be up to the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions, which is tasked with considering Acosta’s labor nomination. Although he has been confirmed by the Senate three times in his career, the 48-year-old, Harvard-educated Acosta has never been questioned about decisions made during his four years as U.S. attorney, the last position he held in the federal government. He’s currently dean of Florida International University’s law school.

Trump’s first labor nominee, fast-food executive Andy Puzder, withdrew his nomination last month after it became clear that a series of controversial revelations had killed his chances of confirmation. Labor unions, which campaigned hard against Puzder and celebrated his withdrawal as a victory, quickly welcomed the Acosta pick.

“Working people changed the game on this nomination,” Richard Trumka, president of the AFL-CIO, said in a statement after Trump named Acosta. “In one day, we’ve gone from a fast-food CEO who routinely violates labor law to a public servant with experience enforcing it.”

Top members of the Senate HELP committee did not respond to requests for comment about Acosta’s handling of the Epstein case, though a spokesman for Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tennessee and the committee chairman, said Alexander “believes Mr. Acosta is a well-qualified nominee with an impressive record.”

The White House did not respond to a request for comment. Acosta has not granted any interviews since his nomination.

But in the past, the Epstein case has plagued Acosta, a bona fide conservative who has developed a reputation as being both pragmatic and shrewd in stints as a National Labor Relations Board member, a top Justice Department administrator and U.S. attorney.

Shortly into his tenure as the head of the Justice Department’s civil-rights division, Acosta launched an anti-slavery initiative, citing the case of a 14-year-old Mexican girl held captive and forced to have sex with up to 30 men a day.

“It is evil. It is hideous,” Acosta said. “It is one of the most horrendous crimes of our society.”

Three years after Epstein’s guilty plea, Acosta broke his silence about the case amid simmering fallout over the billionaire’s plea deal. In a 2011 letter intended for news reporters and the public, Acosta defended his decision to let state authorities charge Epstein instead of the feds.

  Read former U.S. Attorney Alex Acosta's letter explaining his decision not to charge Jeffrey Epstein.