Despite polls, Obama has the money edge in Kentucky | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Despite polls, Obama has the money edge in Kentucky

Ryan Alessi - Lexington Herald-Leader

May 18, 2008 08:20 PM

LEXINGTON, kY. — While U.S. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton may have a commanding lead in the polls in Kentucky, her Democratic presidential rival, U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, has raised more money in the state.

Obama has collected $847,405 from Kentuckians compared to $625,976 Clinton has brought in, according to the most recent Federal Election Commission reports, through March. The campaigns' updated reports through April are due Tuesday — the day Kentuckians vote in the primary.

Many donors to Obama say they rarely, if ever, give to political candidates.

"I just think that Obama is the most exciting candidate I've seen in my lifetime," said Nathan Cryder, 32, executive director of Lexington-based Global Gain Inc., a consulting firm aimed at addressing social problems and poverty.

"His leadership style and oratory skills is just the type that inspires," said Cryder, who gave $78 to Obama in March. "Clinton supporters will support her but they're not energized enough to give substantial amounts of money."

Michael de Bourbon, a Pikeville lawyer whose only other political contribution was to Democrat Ben Chandler's 2003 run for governor, said he hasn't seen a candidate like Obama since John F. Kennedy.

"I very much like him because I think he's a politician of conviction," he said.

With likely Republican nominee John McCain doing little fund-raising in Kentucky so far, garnering about $170,000, Obama has raised more from the Bluegrass state than McCain and Clinton combined.

But Clinton will get an influx of cash from Kentucky this weekend, as Mary Lee Smith, who is married to Kentucky Democratic Party Vice Chairman Nathan Smith, hosts a fund-raiser for Clinton's campaign.

Nathan Smith will be one of Kentucky's nine superdelegates at the Democratic National Convention in August and has so far remained uncommitted. He said the event at his Fort Mitchell home doesn't signal that he's decided to back Clinton.

"It does not," he said, adding that his wife has long been a staunch Clinton backer. "When they asked my wife to have a fund-raiser for her, she was delighted."

Clinton also is attracting newly politically active supporters.

Robin Finkelstein, who owns consulting company Market Insight Inc. in Louisville, said that this election is the first time she's volunteered for any campaign and that Clinton is only the second candidate to whom she's donated.

Finkelstein gave three times for a total of $450, including a $100 check Tuesday after Clinton's landslide win in West Virginia.

"Can we count on you for another donation after Tuesday?" asked Tennessee superdelegate Vicky Harwell, whom Finkelstein escorted to Frankfort for Clinton's rally.

"Absolutely," Finkelstein responded.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Obama blames Fox News, e-mail for likely loss in Kentucky

May 16, 2008 04:02 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service