GOP congresswoman moves to distance herself from Bush | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

GOP congresswoman moves to distance herself from Bush

Lesley Clark - McClatchy Newspapers

June 03, 2008 07:03 PM

WASHINGTON — With President Bush's popularity hovering in the 30s, one of Florida's most conservative members of Congress has decided that a little breathing room might be a good thing.

Facing what could be her first significant reelection challenge in two decades, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, of Miami, shot out two press releases Tuesday intended to distance herself from the president.

One was entitled "list of domestic initiatives where Ros-Lehtinen has broken with the current administration.'' The other was headlined "list of foreign policy initiatives where Ros-Lehtinen has broken with the current administration.''

Her office said it was interested in debunking any perception that the generally reliably Republican is a "rubber stamp'' for President Bush.

"For the past seven years, Ileana has been mistakenly classified for partisan purposes as a rubber stamp for Bush while she has actually been an independent voice for her district,'' said campaign coordinator Keith Fernandez. "Ileana has deep roots to her district and understands the needs of her constituents. She has never come down with Beltway fever.''

Ros-Lehtinen, who was first elected to the solidly Republican seat in 1989 and is the ranking Republican on the House Foreign Affairs committee, has been a staunch supporter of the war in Iraq. But she broke with the party to urge the Pentagon to allow gay men and lesbians to serve in the military. And her e-mails tick off six pages of differences on foreign policy, including a recent op-ed in the Washington Times, co-authored with Michigan Republican Rep. Peter Hoekstra in which they took the administration to task for its stance on North Korea.

She and fellow Miami Republicans Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart and Mario Diaz-Balart also voted last month to override Bush's veto of a farm bill the president derided as "massive and bloated.''

She also noted she was one of 11 Republicans to vote in favor of a housing bill the administration has threatened to veto.

A spokeswoman for Annette Taddeo, Ros-Lehtinen's Democratic challenger, said Ros-Lehtinen had voted "85 percent of the time for her boss, George Bush.

"Her decision to release the 15 percent of the bills where she did not vote with George Bush is a clear indication of the fact she understands she is disconnected with the needs of the people of the district,'' said spokeswoman Anastasia Apa.

The releases came as a Democratic survey of 1,600 voters in 45 Republican congressional districts — though not Ros-Lehtinen's — showed Bush with an approval rating of 33 percent.

The poll, conducted for Democracy Corps, a nonprofit political organization, put the average approval rating for incumbent Republicans at 38 percent and gave the edge to Democrats in November. The districts surveyed in Florida included Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart's Hialeah-area seat, as well as three other Florida districts that Democrats are targeting.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service