Rep. Conyers demands answers in Justice's oil decision | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Rep. Conyers demands answers in Justice's oil decision

Marisa Taylor and Greg Gordon - McClatchy Newspapers

September 23, 2008 10:00 AM

WASHINGTON — The chairman of the House Judiciary Committee demanded Tuesday that the attorney general provide an "immediate explanation" for a Justice Department decision that could have cost taxpayers up to $40 million in royalties from a major oil company.

Michigan Democratic Rep. John Conyers' cited a McClatchy story Sept. 12 that detailed the department’s rejection of the Colorado U.S. attorney’s recommendation to intervene in a whistleblower’s suit against the Kerr-McGee Corp.

In a letter to Attorney General Michael Mukasey, Conyers said charges that politics might have played a part in a decision favoring a major oil company "must be taken seriously and thoroughly investigated." Conyers said he wanted to question the officials involved in the case and that he sought access to all related records.

Conyers also criticized the Justice Department’s "apparent inaction in the face of growing evidence of mismanagement and fraud in the Interior Department’s oil and gas marketing program."

Justice Department spokesman Peter Carr said the department "will review the letter from Chairman Conyers and respond, as appropriate," but he shed no further light on its decision in the whistleblower case.

In his letter, Conyers noted that the Interior Department’s inspector general was frustrated that the Justice Department had declined to prosecute two senior officials of the scandal-plagued Minerals Management Service, which oversees federal oil and gas leases.

Inspector General Earl Devaney was so displeased with the department's refusal, Conyers wrote, that he pulled his investigators off a department task force examining disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff's influence-peddling.

"I find it highly troubling that the Interior Department’s inspector general would feel compelled to take such an extraordinary step," Conyers said, echoing concerns expressed last week by Sens. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., and Ken Salazar, D-Colo.

Conyers said he found "troubling" McClatchy’s report that Justice Department officials in Washington had turned down a recommendation by Colorado U.S. Attorney Troy Eid and the chief of his office's civil division, Lisa Christian, to intervene in a suit filed by a former MMS auditor. The suit accused Kerr-McGee, which Houston-based Anadarko Petroleum Corp. purchased in 2006, of understating the proceeds of oil sales to hold down royalty fees paid to the government.

In January 2007, a federal jury ruled that Kerr-McGee owed $7.5 million to whistleblower Bobby Maxwell and the U.S. government, an award that’s tripled under the 1986 false claims act. Penalties also are added.

However, the trial judge questioned Maxwell's whistleblower status, putting the taxpayer recovery at risk. Earlier this month, a federal appeals court upheld Maxwell's status.

U.S. Attorney Eid told McClatchy that he didn't know who made the decision not to intervene in the suit or why. At the time, then-Attorney General Alberto Gonzales was besieged with allegations of politicization in hiring, firing and the handling of sensitive cases.

Whistleblower suits generally are less successful without the Justice Department's intervention, and if a whistleblower prevails on his own, taxpayers get a smaller share of the damages. MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S. inaction on oil royalties suit could have cost millions

Official: Why weren't managers charged in oil-sex scandal?

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Official: Why weren't managers charged in oil-sex scandal?

September 18, 2008 06:12 PM

politics-government

U.S. inaction on oil royalties suit could have cost millions

September 12, 2008 07:44 PM

politics-government

Oil companies gave sex, drinks, gifts to federal overseers

September 10, 2008 07:06 PM

latest-news

Final Letter from Mr Conyers to AG Mukasey

September 23, 2008 10:33 AM

HOMEPAGE

Background stories on U.S. Attorneys

March 06, 2008 07:23 PM

Read Next

White House

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service