N. Carolina AG touts his role in Duke lacrosse case in TV ad | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

N. Carolina AG touts his role in Duke lacrosse case in TV ad

Raleigh News & Observer

September 30, 2008 03:44 PM

RALEIGH — A campaign ad for state Attorney General Roy Cooper showcases his dismissal of charges against Duke University lacrosse players last year.

The TV ad includes a videotape of Cooper's news conference in April 2007, when he announced that the charges "were the result of a tragic rush to accuse and a failure to verify serious allegations."

The ad credits Cooper for modernizing the state's crime lab by adding DNA experts. In the lacrosse case, analysts found no DNA evidence to tie the players to an escort service dancer who claimed they had raped her.

"We use the same technology to establish innocence as we do guilt, and North Carolina's a better state because of it," Cooper says in the ad.

Cooper, a Democrat, is seeking his third term as attorney general. His faces Republican Bob Crumley of Asheboro in the November election.

Cooper's decision last year ended the criminal charges against the players, but the case rages on in civil court. The city of Durham and former District Attorney Mike Nifong are battling suits by former lacrosse players.

Read the full story at newsobserver.com.

Read Next

White House

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service