Will new Mars lander be parked or scrapped? | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Will new Mars lander be parked or scrapped?

Robert S. Boyd - McClatchy Newspapers

October 05, 2008 01:25 PM

WASHINGTON — America's next daring adventure on Mars — a one-ton rolling science laboratory scheduled to launch next October — is in deep trouble.

Huge cost overruns and technical difficulties may cause the $2 billion dollar Mars Science Laboratory to be delayed or cancelled outright, members of a NASA advisory committee were warned last week.

"Our problem is enormous," said Jim Green, director of the space agency's Planetary Science Division, as project costs soar up to 40 percent above budget.

The successor to the wildly popular Spirit and Opportunity rovers, still toiling along on Mars, is supposed to check out a region on the planet's surface where conditions could support past or present life — one of science's highest goal.

NASA Administrator Michael Griffin is to decide whether to cancel, delay or go ahead with the troubled mission on Friday.

It's also possible that Congress, grappling with massive budget deficits and the cost of a $700 billion financial rescue package, will terminate the mission on its own.

"Congress can stop us if they want to," Douglas McCuistion, director of NASA's Mars Exploration Program, told the committee of planetary scientists.

The lander, a nine foot-long minivan packed with scientific instruments, four times heavier than Spirit and Opportunity, has already cost $1.5 billion. Poor management and inflation will add about $500 million to that sum, the panel was told.

"A lot of serious mistakes were made, McCuistion said. "Mars (the program) is out of money. We're laying people off."

"I'm not sure Congress will rescue MSL," said Ed Weiler, NASA's chief scientist. "We need to move mountains, and there are no more mountains to move."

"I'm less worried about the money than the technology," Weiler said. "My heart says go for it, but we can't afford to make a mistake," referring to two previous Mars landers that went astray in 1998.

Technological problems include the failure of a contractor to deliver dozens of complex parts on time, and concern that a hurry-up schedule could lead to human errors.

If the science lander is delayed, it could be launched in 2010 and parked in a solar orbit until 2011, when Mars is again in range of Earth, Green said. A launch delay until 2011 is more likely.

A delay would cost at least $300 million in extra expenses, and would interfere with other scheduled planetary missions, such as later flights to Mars, Jupiter or Saturn. But a delay is better than a cancellation, Green said.

"The cheapest thing to do is get it out in '09," McCuistion said.

For more information on the Mars Science Laboratory:

http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/overview/

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY:

Scientists probing what happened before big bang

Scientists close in on mass killer of life on earth

Nitrogen emerges as the latest climate-change threat

Read Next

White House

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service