California voters displaced by foreclosure can still vote | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

California voters displaced by foreclosure can still vote

Phillip Reese - Sacramento Bee

October 10, 2008 07:19 AM

After the bank took Amanda Moore-Stevens' home last year and her husband died of a heart attack, changing her voter registration to her new address was not a priority.

"It wasn't something I was thinking about," said Moore-Stevens, of Fairfield.

But not doing so meant Moore-Stevens and the thousands of other local voters who recently lost their homes through foreclosure risked losing their right to vote in the upcoming election, too.

That worry has been abated. A spokeswoman from the secretary of state's office told The Bee this week that people who recently lost their homes can still vote at their old precincts. Several local registrars confirmed that they will allow voters to cast ballots either where they used to live or, by provisional ballot, at their new address without re-registering.

(For those who don't want to risk it, there is still time to re-register: the deadline is Oct. 20.)

Granting leeway was no minor concession. Last month alone, banks took the homes of more than 2,000 registered voters in the four-county Sacramento region, according to a Bee analysis of voter registration records and data from foreclosures.com. Extend those numbers out to the past year and at least 25,000 registered voters have been displaced.

Although Moore-Stevens did eventually re-register, many of them likely did not.

Read the complete story at sacbee.com

Read Next

White House

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service