Disgruntled guest workers return home from Sacramento | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Disgruntled guest workers return home from Sacramento

Susan Ferriss - Sacramento Bee

October 14, 2008 07:05 AM

More than 30 guest farmworkers left for Mexico this past weekend, with some complaining that their Sacramento employer broke promises about work hours, wages and travel reimbursements.

The workers were part of a large group hired by Galt-based labor contractor Salvador Gonzalez as part of the federal H-2A guest worker program.

Gonzalez obtained permission earlier this year to sponsor, for six months, about 180 H-2A laborers he personally recruited in the state of Colima, Mexico.

California farm employers rarely use the H-2A program to import foreign workers to fill seasonal jobs they cannot find domestic workers to perform. The Bush administration, however, has been encouraging employers to sponsor H-2A foreign workers to replace tens of thousands of illegal immigrants in this state.

About a month and a half after the Colima workers arrived in mid-July, however, some of them filed a lawsuit alleging that Gonzalez had broken his contract offering wages of up to $100 a day, 40-hour work weeks and decent housing and low-cost nutritious meals.

"The way he (Gonzalez) talked to us about all the work we would have here is what convinced us to come here," said Daniel Becerra, 20, one of the workers who left over the weekend.

Becerra is one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit alleging that Gonzalez provided decrepit housing, food consisting mostly of beans and far fewer work hours than promised.

Read the complete story at sacbee.com

Read Next

White House

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service