Voters say they're turned off by nasty Miami-area campaign | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Voters say they're turned off by nasty Miami-area campaign

Lesley Clarkand Alfonso Chardy - McClatchy Newspapers

October 31, 2008 08:13 AM

For the first time in his life, voter Fred Onesto purposely skipped over one of the contests on his ballot.

The 76-year-old Pembroke Pines retiree said he left the ballot blank in the race between Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart and his Democratic challenger, Raul Martinez.

"I voted 'no one,' '' Onesto said, leaving the Southwest Regional Library on Thursday. "From what I've seen of their TV ads, I think they're both terrible.''

The slugfest between the Republican incumbent and the former Hialeah mayor -- a back-and-forth of nasty TV ads and mailers -- has sunk deeper into the mud, with Martinez holding a news conference Thursday to denounce the latest Diaz-Balart campaign ad.

The 30-second spot features Bill O'Connell, a former Hialeah cop, calling Martinez the ''most corrupt politician you will ever see in your life.'' But joined by former Hialeah Police Chief Rolando Bolanos, Martinez called O'Connell ''disgruntled'' and accused him of trying to fraudulently secure disability benefits. O'Connell called the charge "ludicrous.''

The ads come as Diaz-Balart faces the toughest reelection challenge of his career, sparking both national parties to pour money into the race. Republicans began running a Spanish-language ad last week with a photo of Martinez superimposed over a truck dumping garbage.

For some voters, the tone of the campaign has been a turnoff.

''Instead of telling us what they'd do or what they stand for, they're just taking out each other's dirty laundry,'' said Patrick Joseph, 37, a small-business owner in Miramar. "It becomes humorous after a while 'cause you're like 'What are they going to say next?' ''

The new anti-Martinez ad comes on the heels of an anti-Diaz-Balart ad that talks about ''crooks, lobbyists and dirty deals'' and refers to Diaz-Balart being led away ''in handcuffs'' -- a reference to his 1995 arrest at the White House while protesting President Clinton's Cuba policy.

Some voters, though, said the ads wield little influence.

''All those ads and infomercials that attack people, I just ignore them,'' Demetrio Garcia said after voting for Martinez and Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama at the John F. Kennedy Library in Hialeah. "They can say whatever they want about Martinez and Obama, but I'm a Democrat and I voted for the Democrats.''

Ana María Lopez, a teacher who voted for Obama and Diaz-Balart, said she, too, had mostly ignored the ads.

''I do not like negative politics,'' she said. "It's more helpful to the voter for the candidate to talk about what they intend to do to resolve problems, not attacking each other personally, because that only shows they want to fight each other.''

Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart also is running attack ads, attempting to link Democratic challenger Joe Garcia to the 2002 collapse of Enron by saying Garcia sought a federal appointment through the company's CEO, who was later disgraced. Garcia said he was approached by the CEO, who eventually blocked him from being named.

''It's outrageous that he's allowed to say anything he wants about me,'' Garcia said of the incumbent. Garcia's ads have mostly assailed Diaz-Balart's voting record and his support for President Bush.

Carlos Curbelo, a spokesman for both Diaz-Balarts, defended their ads as truthful.

''Everything is based on facts and reality,'' he said. "It's important for voters to know the histories and the resumes of the candidates and compare them.''

Ads on both sides, however, have stretched the truth. And largely lost in the din are the positive ads that every campaign has aired.

Blandel Witter, 42, a construction supervisor in Miramar and self-described ''C-Span guy,'' said he has done his own research.

''If you watch the ads, you don't want to vote for either one,'' he said.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Complete McClatchy election coverage

September 19, 2008 04:25 PM

politics-government

Old standby issue Cuba is missing from Miami House races

October 27, 2008 11:56 PM

politics-government

Local campaigns: Miami congressional race a slugfest

October 18, 2008 08:24 AM

national

Miami Congressional challengers again outraise incumbents

October 17, 2008 06:50 PM

politics-government

Miami's bitter congressional race comes to Denver

August 25, 2008 11:32 PM

Read Next

White House

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service