Union concessions may improve prospects for auto bailout | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Union concessions may improve prospects for auto bailout

David Lightman and Kevin G. Hall - McClatchy Newspapers

December 03, 2008 05:53 PM

WASHINGTON — On the eve of congressional hearings, union leaders agreed to concessions on Wednesday, removing a roadblock to a proposed rescue of the U.S. auto industry as Congress weighs whether to give carmakers $34 billion in emergency aid or allow them to face bankruptcy.

At a Detroit news conference, United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger announced that the union would allow automakers more time to meet funding obligations for retiree benefits and would suspend a program that allows laid off workers to receive most of their original salary.

The concessions are designed to show wary lawmakers that labor is a willing partner in what amounts to a taxpayer-financed effort to help one or more of the Big Three avoid a bankruptcy that would send shockwaves across an economy already battered by recession.

"Bottom line — the jury's still out," said Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., who's on the Senate Banking Committee, which holds its hearing on the proposed bailout on Thursday.

A Republican Senate leadership aide, who asked not to be identified in order to speak candidly, said the union moves were "a step in the right direction for some members," but it was unclear how many.

Republican lawmakers and the Bush administration blame union contracts for many of U.S. carmakers' problems. On Wednesday, the White House remained non-committal about the bailout.

"Let us take a look at the plans and let them have their testimony and see if we can help them," said spokeswoman Dana Perino. "We don't want anybody to be negatively affected by a bankruptcy, but sometimes companies do fail. That's just the way it is in our system."

The UAW fears that a bankruptcy would hurt not only union employees at General Motors or Chrysler, but also unionized suppliers. Ford's position, though not great, is less imminently dire.

Answering a question about serious union concessions in the last two contract negotiations, Gettelfinger suggested that future union members should expect fewer perks than their predecessors.

"But the word concessions — I used to cringe at that word. But now why hide from it, that's what we did," he conceded, according to a transcript of his remarks, following an unusual emergency meeting that gathered union leaders from the shops of the Big Three.

Specifically, Gettelfinger recommended Wednesday that UAW members allow the Big Three more time before they begin paying into a special health and welfare trust — called a voluntary employees' beneficiary association, or VEBA. Under last year's labor contract, carmakers were to begin paying into the union-administered VEBA on Jan. 1, 2010.

In addition, the UAW will look at suspending the jobs bank, a controversial program that guarantees laid-off workers most of their salary. Gettelfinger said only 3,500 or so workers remain in this program, which once numbered more than 80,000.

The union's legislative director, Alan Reuther, hoped lawmakers would see the union moves as a good-faith effort to share the pain.

"I think this indicates that UAW members are willing to do their part in terms of sacrifices to help in any restructuring. Obviously, the other stakeholders have to be at the table too," he told McClatchy. "I would hope members would see this as positive, and as proof that a restructuring can succeed and lead to viable businesses in the future.

Collectively, the Big Three presented viability plans to Congress on Tuesday that ask for $34 billion in direct loans and stand-by lines of credit. In exchange, they promised to cut costs, trim their dealership networks, curb executive pay and move more swiftly to build hybrid vehicles and cars with better fuel economy.

That same day, they reported dismal November sales that amounted to the biggest collective monthly drop in a quarter century.

Against that backdrop, Congress on Thursday begins two days of hearings on the bailout request.

"The Big Three plans help," Tester said. "But there are still questions, like why was it $25 billion two weeks ago and $34 billion today?"

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said on Wednesday that he isn't committed to bringing any aid plan to the full Senate and that he and key committee chairmen will determine "at the end of the week the best course to pursue," including "whether to move forward with legislation to provide emergency funds."

Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., who'll preside over Thursday's hearing, also was noncommittal. His first witness on Thursday will be Acting Comptroller General Gene Dodaro, who heads the Government Accountability Office.

By putting Dodaro first, it assures that senators and the American public will hear from an objective source before carmakers testify. Dodaro will discuss alternative methods of government support to boost the struggling auto manufacturers.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

To ask a question about this story or any economic question, go to McClatchy's economy Q&A

Pelosi says Congress won't let Big 3 carmakers go bankrupt

Middle class has been shrinking for decades

Borrowers move as new bailout plan drops mortgage rates

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

U.S. Steel halts work at Midwest sites, surprising no one

December 04, 2008 07:14 AM

national

Missouri's new governor says economy will force budget cuts

December 04, 2008 07:31 AM

opinion

Commentary: U.S. automakers are worth saving

December 03, 2008 01:07 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service