It's confirmed: Dole's 'Godless' ad was a desperate move | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

It's confirmed: Dole's 'Godless' ad was a desperate move

Jim Morrill - Charlotte Observer

March 09, 2009 03:14 PM

Marty Ryall, who ran Republican Elizabeth Dole's Senate campaign last year, confirms what many people suspected about the so-called Godless ad — that it was a desperation move by a campaign that knew it was losing.

Ryall writes about the ad in a cover story for Politics magazine. The headline: "Our Hail Mary Pass, Why we ran the Godless ad and what I'd do differently."

The ad that ran in the final days was the most controversial of the campaign. It sought to tie Democrat Kay Hagan to a group of atheists who want to remove references to God from the public arena. It showed Hagan's photo while a woman's voice said "There is no God."

"Many in the media, especially on the liberal side, were quick to point to the ad and claim it backfired, costing Dole the election," Ryall writes. "Nothing could be further from the truth. When a football team is trailing by 7 points and throws a “Hail Mary” on the last play of the game, they don't lose because they failed to complete the play, they lose because they were down 7 points and time was runningout."

Ryall recites the campaign's problems. It burned through too much money early and then faced an onslaught from outside groups. In addition, there were Dole's weaknesses, including her effectiveness rating, the time she spent outside North Carolina and, of course, the Obama turnout effort.

In the final week, he says, Dole was on "a losing trajectory" and had to do something with "shock value." The only thing he would have done ifferently about the Godless ad was to cut the "There is no God" quote at the end since it gave Hagan a ready line of attack.

"So, in the end, the 'Godless' ad had little impact on the election. The Obama campaign's decision to target NorthCarolina and turn out the Democrat vote was far more damaging. … I would argue that had we run the ad sooner, and without the voice at the end, it would have been closer. However, that is all hindsight. The risk was huge and not worth taking until it was evident we could not win without it, and that was not clear until about 10 days out. Had the ad run about 20 days out, it may have made it closer, but the datawe had at that time did not warrant taking such a large gamble."

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Dole's 'godless' ad is talk of N. Carolina as race nears end

November 01, 2008 10:38 PM

politics-government

Dole, despite outcry, unleashes another 'Godless' ad

October 31, 2008 06:35 PM

politics-government

Dole has new TV ad on Godless Americans

October 31, 2008 02:03 PM

politics-government

Critics slam Dole ad as Hagan fights back

October 31, 2008 06:50 AM

politics-government

Commentary: Dole's desperate turn to Big Lie advertising

October 30, 2008 02:42 PM

politics-government

Amid 'godless' ad furor, polls find Dole running behind

October 30, 2008 11:55 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service