Veterans, lawmakers blast White House for benefits proposal | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Veterans, lawmakers blast White House for benefits proposal

David Goldstein - McClatchy Newspapers

March 17, 2009 07:00 PM

WASHINGTON — Angry advocates for veterans will return to the White House on Thursday to try to talk the Obama administration out of cutting benefits.

The administration is weighing whether to make veterans use private insurance to pay for treatment of combat injuries and other service-related health problems.

The controversial plan has ignited a firestorm in the veterans community, and a meeting Monday with President Barack Obama failed to tamp it down. The same veterans groups that met with Obama have been asked to go back to meet with his chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, for more discussions.

Several veterans advocates suggested that the White House was unprepared for the backlash to its plan from veterans and their supporters on Capitol Hill and might be looking for a graceful exit.

"Why pick a fight that's going to consume time and energy that doesn't need to happen?" said Doug Vollmer, the associate executive director for government relations for the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said no decisions had been made about changing benefits for veterans. He said they "can be assured that the president understands any concerns that they would have."

The administration's plan to save money by cutting veterans' benefits remains sketchy, but Obama told the advocates seated around the table Monday in the Roosevelt Room that it would save $540 million.

Veterans currently are responsible only for health-care costs that are unrelated to their time in the military, with some exceptions.

To veterans and their advocates, government-financed health coverage is their "third rail" of politics. They believe that upon enlistment, the government pledged lifetime coverage for injuries sustained on the battlefield or elsewhere.

Reversing that, said Rick Weidman, the director of government relations for Vietnam Veterans of America, "cuts to the quick of the covenant between the people and those who take the step forward, pledging life and limb, often at great cost, in defense of the United States."

Still, veterans advocates said they were open to discussing alternatives, which is likely to be the topic Thursday. One could be to have some veterans use their private insurance for treatment of service-related injuries but without requiring co-payments.

Another could be allowing the Department of Veterans Affairs to bill Medicare for an eligible veteran's coverage. Currently, if a veteran who's eligible for Medicare and the VA uses the VA, the agency isn't allowed to bill Medicare for the costs.

"This, we believe, would more easily meet the president's financial goal," American Legion Commander David Rehbein said in a statement.

Apart from the tempest over private insurance, several veterans advocates said that so far Obama had supported their concerns. His proposed 2010 budget of nearly $113 billion for the VA was more than $1 billion higher than the plan that they'd been pushing.

However, many said that they were surprised by the ham-handedness of the private insurance effort because it seemed that no one in the White House or the VA took into consideration how veterans would react — or Congress, where several members have called the plan "dead on arrival."

Paul Rieckhoff, the executive director of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, likened it to the problems that former President Bill Clinton faced in 1993 at the outset of his presidency when he proposed the "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays in the military.

"The president needs to drop this," Rieckhoff said of Obama. "The longer we wait, the more it hurts his relations with the VSOs" — veterans service organizations — "and with vets. This is a no-brainer. We were all shocked. We don't understand why he's picking this fight."

VETERANS GROUPS THAT MET WITH OBAMA ON MONDAY

The American Legion

AMVETS (American Veterans)

Blinded Veterans Association

Disabled American Veterans

Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America

Jewish War Veterans of the USA

Military Officers Association of America

Military Order of the Purple Heart of the U.S.A. Inc.

Paralyzed Veterans of America

Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States

Vietnam Veterans of America

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Vets recoil at idea of using insurance for service injuries

Enhanced new GI education benefit hitting some rocks

VA nominee Shinseki vows to clean up agency

Commentary: Shinseki's back and VA's got him

Veteran savors new life and new home

Related stories from McClatchy DC

white-house

Vets recoil at idea of using insurance for service injuries

March 17, 2009 11:11 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service