South Carolina's Gov. Sanford won't appeal stimulus ruling | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

South Carolina's Gov. Sanford won't appeal stimulus ruling

Rick Brundrett and John O'Connor - The State

June 01, 2009 08:53 PM

Gov. Mark Sanford said he will not put the state in a protracted legal fight over control of $700 million in federal stimulus money on the same day the governor received a legal setback in federal court.

A federal judge ruled Monday two lawsuits asking the state to determine if Sanford or state lawmakers control the disputed money should be decided by the S.C. Supreme Court. Sanford wanted the lawsuits heard in federal court.

He acknowledged Monday its likely he would lose the case in state court.

"We will not attempt to exercise those appeals," Sanford said. "Whatever decision (the S.C. Supreme Court) makes we will live by."

U.S. District Judge Joe Anderson announced his ruling after a hearing in Columbia. Later Monday, Sanford, in a meeting with reporters, said he would not to file appeals in the legal battle. That means the stimulus fight could be settled before a July 1 deadline to request the money. And legal experts think Sanford will have a tough time winning in state court.

The S.C. Supreme Court last week was poised to hear a lawsuit filed by Chapin High School senior Casey Edwards and USC law student Justin Williams but was forced to cancel the Thursday hearing after Sanford, who was allowed by the court to join the suit, requested that it be heard by a federal judge.

Sanford earlier last week moved that the other suit before the Supreme Court, filed by the S.C. Association of School Administrators against Sanford, be transferred to federal court.

The Supreme Court could hear the students’ suit as early as this week. The court, mindful of the deadline, is expected to rule quickly, though the high court isn’t bound by any deadline. A quick ruling would allow Anderson to rule on the federal suit before the deadline.

If the S.C. Supreme Court rules against Sanford, the governor has the right to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, though the nation’s top court rejects the vast majority of requests. Sanford also could appeal any unfavorable ruling by Anderson in the federal suit to the U.S. 4th Circuit Court of Appeals. By declaring his intention not to file appeals, Sanford is giving the state a chance to meet its deadline for the money if he loses his legal argument.

Read more at TheState.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Federal judge sends stimulus lawsuits back to S.C. Supreme Court

June 01, 2009 01:06 PM

politics-government

Sanford asks whether Supreme Court should hear S.C. stimulus case

May 28, 2009 07:32 AM

news

Poll: Sanford might do well with Southern Republicans

May 22, 2009 07:39 AM

politics-government

Gov. Sanford sues S.C. General Assembly

May 21, 2009 07:33 AM

politics-government

Sanford urges S.C. stimulus opponents to call lawmakers

May 12, 2009 02:59 PM

economy

S.C. teen files lawsuit over Sanford's stimulus standoff

April 17, 2009 07:30 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service