South Carolina Gov. Sanford officially requests stimulus funds | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

South Carolina Gov. Sanford officially requests stimulus funds

Roddie Burris - The State (Columbia, S.C.)

June 09, 2009 07:29 AM

South Carolina's public fight over $700 million of federal stimulus money officially ended Monday.

Gov. Mark Sanford formally requested the money from Washington — after months of turmoil in the General Assembly and the courts — in a long letter cloaked in his disapproval.

At the same time, Sanford, whom the state Supreme Court last week forced to accept the money over his objections, withdrew his federal lawsuit seeking to block the funds, as promised.

But he was handed an economic report showing a 35.5 percent May drop in state revenues.

Comptroller General Richard Eckstrom said state revenues are down 12.8 percent, or $756 million, overall for the year, a sign the national recession has South Carolina in a bind that harms its ability to pay for government.

That all came on a hot June day when Sanford's critics – most of them Democrats – took to the streets in four cities around the state, including a rally at the State House in Columbia, to urge the governor to create jobs.

"We need dedication from Governor Sanford," said middle school art teacher Patricia McCormick of Columbia, who said she came to the State House rally to speak for public school pupils across the state who cannot speak for themselves.

To read the complete article, visit www.thestate.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

South Carolina Democrats take aim at Sanford in 2010

June 08, 2009 07:34 AM

politics-government

How loss might affect S.C. governor Sanford

June 05, 2009 04:06 PM

politics-government

S. Carolina Gov. Sanford vetoes bill to limit payday lending

June 03, 2009 07:27 AM

politics-government

South Carolina's Gov. Sanford won't appeal stimulus ruling

June 01, 2009 08:53 PM

news

Poll: Sanford might do well with Southern Republicans

May 22, 2009 07:39 AM

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service