Sen. DeMint urges Gov. Sanford to make 'right decision' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Sen. DeMint urges Gov. Sanford to make 'right decision'

Roddie Burris, Clif LeBlanc and Gina Smith - The State (Columbia, S.C.)

July 01, 2009 12:12 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- In yet another sign that South Carolina Republican powers want Gov. Mark Sanford to resign, U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint on Wednesday morning urged his fellow Republican Sanford to make the “right decision.”

“He’s dropped the flag. The rest of us have to get up and go on,” DeMint said during an interview on Fox News’ “Fox & Friends.” “A lot of us are talking to him behind the scenes in hopes that he'll make the right decision about what needs to be done.”

Asked what the “right decision” would be for Sanford, DeMint said: “I don't want to say.”

Sanford vanished late last month from South Carolina without telling anyone where he was going for a week to visit his Argentine lover. Confronted by a State newspaper when his plane from Argentina landed at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, Sanford initially said he had been on an adventure trip to Argentina, driving the country’s coast line.

When subsequently told The State had e-mails outlining an affair with Maria Belen Chapur, Sanford said he had been unfaithful to his wife and that they were separated.

During an Tuesday interview, Sanford said he had “crossed lines” with multiple women and added he actually visited his Argentine mistress on seven different trips dating back to 2001. DeMint said the further explanation was “not a wise thing to do in this business.”

“They say, when you are explaining, you are losing. And particularly on that subject, I think, he was,” the senator said. “I'm concerned of whether or not he is in a position that he can continue to lead the state.”

DeMint said that a number of state Republicans are “talking to (Sanford) quietly, and hopefully it will be resolved.”

“I have my concerns to whether or not he can continue,” he said. “I think we will see some resolution in the next week.”

Twelve of the 27 members of the state Senate's Majority Caucus now have signed a petition, calling for Sanford to resign.

To read the complete article, visit www.thestate.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Sheheen, 2010 S.C. governor candidate, calls for Sanford's resignation

July 01, 2009 07:22 AM

politics-government

Sanford tells AP he 'crossed lines' with other women

June 30, 2009 12:34 PM

politics-government

Sanford's Argentine mistress tells TV anchor she's 'hurt'

June 29, 2009 07:49 PM

opinion

Commentary: Sanford should stay in office

June 30, 2009 11:56 AM

politics-government

S. Carolina GOP still split on whether Sanford should resign

June 29, 2009 03:20 PM

politics-government

How Mark Sanford's Argentine affair ended a GOP star's rise

June 28, 2009 09:31 PM

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service