U.S. commander in Afghanistan submits request for more troops | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

U.S. commander in Afghanistan submits request for more troops

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

September 25, 2009 07:42 PM

WASHINGTON -- Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the U.S. military commander in Afghanistan, hand-delivered his request for as many as 45,000 more troops to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in Germany Friday and made his case for why he needs more forces to fight an increasingly unpopular war.

Adm. Michael Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, traveled to Ramstein Air Base in Germany to meet with McChrystal and get "a better understanding of the pending resource requirement," a Pentagon official told McClatchy. The official wasn't authorized to speak publicly and requested anonymity.

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said that Secretary of Defense Robert Gates wouldn't share McChrystal's troop request with anyone until the administration completes its review of the situation in Afghanistan. Only then will other top Pentagon officials review the request and make comments before submitting it to the White House for President Barack Obama to consider, he said.

"It will not be worked in this building by anyone until the assessment process is complete," Morrell said.

McChrystal submitted his assessment of the situation in Afghanistan in August, calling the situation dire but saying the U.S. and its allies still have a chance to succeed if more troops are committed. The White House, however, asked him to not submit a request for more troops until it had time to review his assessment.

Obama and his top national security advisers are locked in a heated debate about the way forward in Afghanistan. The administration announced in March that it had a strategy for Afghanistan, but it's had a difficult time defining the strategy amid declining political and public support, mounting U.S. casualties, evidence that Afghan President Hamid Karzai rigged his re-election last month, pervasive official corruption, a resurgent Taliban and halfhearted assistance from neighboring Pakistan.

A CBS News/New York Times poll released Friday found that 29 percent of Americans think the U.S. should send more troops to Afghanistan, compared with 42 percent in February.

Five more American service members were killed Thursday in southern Afghanistan, three of them from an improvised explosive device, according to NATO's International Security Assistance Force. By mid-August, 2009 became the deadliest year for U.S. troops in Afghanistan since the war began eight years ago. At least 33 troops have been killed this month.

Top administration officials have vacillated between committing more resources and redefining their objectives. Earlier this month, Mullen said that the U.S. "probably" would send more troops to Afghanistan, but a day later Vice President Joe Biden called any discussion of future troop deployments premature.

Defense officials told McClatchy that they think Obama is now "leaning" toward Biden's position that the U.S. should begin to shift away from the counterinsurgency strategy championed by McChrystal and his immediate boss, Army Gen. David Petraeus, the head of the U.S. Central Command, which the administration embraced earlier this year.

Instead of sending more troops to secure Afghanistan and bolster the country's unpopular central government, the advocates of a change in strategy argue, the U.S. should make deals with local warlords to use their turf to monitor Taliban and al Qaida activity and launch more unmanned drone attacks on terrorist targets in Afghanistan and the border areas of Pakistan.

If Karzai is re-elected, as appears likely, but his election is considered illegitimate, they argue, that could further undercut domestic support for the Afghanistan war and leave the White House hitched to an unpopular leader in Kabul. In addition, it would mean that the U.S. exit strategy would become training 134,000 Afghan soldiers to serve a government that the U.S. considers corrupt and incompetent.

Earlier this year, Obama approved sending 17,700 more combat troops and 4,000 trainers for Afghanistan. They all should arrive by November, bringing the U.S. troop total in Afghanistan to 68,000. There currently are 65,000 U.S. troops and 39,000 NATO troops.

(Hal Bernton of The Seattle Times contributed to this article from Kandahar, Afghanistan.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

'We're pinned down:' 4 U.S. Marines die in Afghan ambush

More U.S. troops to Afghanistan? Obama's caught in a vise

Top U.S. officer: Afghan war 'probably' needs more troops

Military growing impatient with Obama on Afghanistan

U.S. ignores doubts, pledges billions more for Pakistan

U.S. ambassador: Pakistan not backing U.S. goals on Taliban

Terror group builds big base under Pakistani officials' noses

Anti-Americanism rises in Pakistan over U.S. motives

More U.S. troops to Afghanistan? Obama's caught in a vise

Top U.S. officer: Afghan war 'probably' needs more troops

Military growing impatient with Obama on Afghanistan

Military leery of Afghanistan escalation with no clear goals

Military leaders: U.S. effort in Afghanistan is just beginning

Pentagon worried about Obama's commitment to Afghanistan

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service