The bicker-fest between the White House and Fox News is angering the cable TV organization's conservative defenders - while confusing Obama supporters.
The administration's Fox hunt began in earnest about 10 days ago, when senior officials said the network was not a "real" news organization because of alleged bias, a charge that Fox and conservatives vigorously rejected.
The sniping continued Tuesday when White House spokesman Robert Gibbs, pressed on the issue, told reporters the bias accusation against Fox was "based on some of their coverage and the fairness of that coverage."
Asked to be more specific, Gibbs referred to Fox News opinion shows hosted by Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. He did not mention any news reports he found objectionable.
Michael Clemente, Fox News' senior vice president of news, called the latest criticism "disappointing."
"Hundreds of journalists come to work each day at Fox News all deeply committed to their craft," Clemente said in a statement. "It's disappointing that the White House would be so dismissive of their fine work and continue their vengeful war against a news organization."
The dispute with conservative media isn't new for the Obama administration and Democrats: They took on talk show host Rush Limbaugh earlier this year.
But media critics and consultants said the latest squabble could backfire, giving Fox News more attention - and even higher ratings - while making the administration look overly sensitive, even churlish.
And, they said, attacking the media rarely works.
Read the complete story at kansascity.com