Justice Department won't appeal order to free Guantanamo detainee | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Justice Department won't appeal order to free Guantanamo detainee

Mark Seibel - McClatchy Newspapers

November 03, 2009 07:41 PM

WASHINGTON — A Kuwaiti Airways engineer who the U.S. military has accused of being a key aide to Osama bin Laden has been moved to the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, detention center's minimum-security section that's reserved for prisoners slated to be released.

Fouad al Rabiah, who the Pentagon says was bin Laden's logistics chief during the 2001 battle at Tora Bora in Afghanistan, was transferred to Camp Iguana after the Justice Department decided not to appeal a judge's order that he be released, his civilian lawyer, David Cynamon, said Tuesday.

In separate letters to the Senate Armed Services Committee and the inspectors general of the Defense and Justice departments, Cynamon demanded an investigation into allegations that Rabiah was tortured by his American interrogators at Guantanamo, where he's been held for nearly eight years.

Cynamon noted in the letters that U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly's Sept. 17 ruling ordering Rabiah's release included "a detailed description of the abusive and coercive tactics used by interrogators to extract patently false confessions from Mr. Al Rabiah." Cynamon said he made a similar request to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder on Oct. 5, but hasn't received a response.

Kollar-Kotelly's opinion, one of 30 release orders that have been issued in response to habeas corpus petitions by Guantanamo prisoners, was the most scathing to date about the government's actions and raised questions about how the Pentagon vetted evidence used to bring charges against Rabiah _ an overweight 50-year-old father of four who failed two weeks of required basic training for the Kuwaiti military.

Still, he remains accused before a military commission of providing material support for a terrorist organization and conspiracy. Pentagon spokesman Joe DellaVedova said "no decision has been made on whether to drop the military commission charges."

Those charges aren't likely to prevent Rabiah's release, however. Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd said in an e-mail that the Obama administration "is working towards completing the administrative and diplomatic processes necessary to effectuate (Rabia's) transfer expeditiously." He declined to comment further.

Under U.S. law, the Obama administration must notify Congress 15 days in advance of plans to transfer a Guantanamo detainee to a third country. That notification is classified, and Cynamon said he didn't know if it had been made. He said he'll continue to press Kollar-Kotelly to hold U.S. officials in contempt if Rabiah isn't released soon.

"They hate to admit they made a mistake," Cynamon said.

The move to Camp Iguana, however, is implicit acknowledgment that Rabiah will be released. Prisoners at Camp Iguana have access to computers, can receive phone calls from their lawyers and can order food from base restaurants, including Pizza Hut and McDonalds.

In her September ruling, Kollar-Kotelly said the government had presented no credible evidence that Rabiah had been an aide to bin Laden or that his trip to Afghanistan was anything other than a humanitarian mission, as he claimed. She said that an unnamed U.S. intelligence analyst had concluded that Rabiah should never have been detained and that the witnesses the government offered against him weren't believable.

Much of Kollar-Kotelly's description of Rabiah's interrogations at Guantanamo was censored in the public version of her order, but there's no doubt that she concluded he'd been abused into making confessions that even his interrogators didn't believe.

Frustrated interrogators, she wrote at one point, "began using abusive techniques that violated the Army Field Manual and the 1949 Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War."

Cynamon pledged to press for an investigation. "I'm not going away quietly on this one," he said.

ON THE WEB

Pentagon charges against Rabiah

Judge Kollar-Kotelly's release order

Rabiah's attorney's requests for torture probes

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Judge's order to release Kuwaiti detainee puts Obama in a bind

Judges siding with detainees in Guantanamo habeas cases

Shackles and blindfold for freed detainee on his way home

Follow Washington developments at McClatchy's Planet Washington

Read Next

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM

Immigration

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service