'Muslim Mafia' author ordered to remove documents from Web | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

'Muslim Mafia' author ordered to remove documents from Web

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

November 09, 2009 06:18 PM

WASHINGTON — A federal judge has taken the rare step of ordering self-described anti-terrorism investigator Paul David Gaubatz to remove from his Web site some of the 12,000 documents that his son allegedly stole from the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly also ordered Gaubatz to return documents used in his book, "Muslim Mafia: Inside the Secret Underworld That's Seeking to Islamize America," which was co-authored by Paul Sperry and portrays the council as a subversive organization that's allied with international terrorists.

The 15-year-old nonprofit civil rights and advocacy organization says its goals are to "enhance understanding of Islam" and "empower American Muslims."

"The record ... supports a finding that defendants have unlawfully obtained access to, and have already caused repeated public disclosure of, material containing CAIR's proprietary, confidential and privileged information," Kollar-Kotelly concluded last week.

The Internet publication ban lasts until Nov. 18, by which time the judge will have held another hearing. Even if it's temporary, though, the restraining order issued last Tuesday is one of the rare occasions when a judge has ordered an author to erase published material.

"It's unusual," Lucy Dalglish, the executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, said Monday, "but I think with the Internet we'll be seeing more of these kinds of cases in the future."

Dalglish added that the judge's publication-restricting order is narrowly written, noting that you "don't usually see situations where they have allegations like this."

Gaubatz said Monday that "the lawsuit was expected," and he questioned whether Council on American-Islamic Relations officials "deny the accuracy of the book or the documents" cited.

"Intimidations, threats and lawsuits are CAIR's basic tactics," Gaubatz said in an e-mail.

Rep. Sue Myrick, R-N.C., calls Gaubatz, an Arabic-speaking former Air Force Office of Special Investigations investigator, a "great American." She furnished a forward for the book and has championed it at Capitol Hill events.

"Now we have proof, from the secret documents that this investigative team has uncovered ... that (radical Islamic) agents living among us have a plan in place, and they are successfully carrying out that plan," Myrick wrote.

In a statement Monday, Myrick added that she's "glad that this matter is getting attention" and said investigations should proceed in multiple directions.

"Let's investigate the claims made by the authors and how they got the material," she said. "And let's investigate and shine some light on CAIR's books, operations and to whom they are connected."

The Web site material includes some 12,000 internal Council on American-Islamic Relations documents spirited away by Gaubatz's son Christopher. The book's authors describe Christopher Gaubatz as "chief field investigator."

In their lawsuit filed late last month in Washington, however, council officials alleged that the Gaubatzes' work is shadier. The pirated documents made public — and which the judge ordered removed — included the names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of council employees and donors.

"Disclosure of a nonprofit corporation's confidential donor list might well lead to a loss of trust and good will if donors begin to feel that their personal information is not safe," Kollar-Kotelly noted, adding that "CAIR's employees have also reported a dramatic increase in the number of threatening communications since the release of Mr. Gaubatz's book."

According to the lawsuit, Christopher Gaubatz sought an intern position with the council last year. Gaubatz grew a beard, identified himself as "David Marshall" and said he was a student, the son of a construction worker and a convert to Islam.

Once hired, Gaubatz/Marshall signed a confidentiality and nondisclosure agreement, and worked as an intern through about August 2008.

Gaubatz removed council documents and printed out e-mails and spreadsheets, according to the lawsuit.

"In addition, (he) made surreptitious audio and video recordings of CAIR officials and employees," the organization's lawyers said.

Monday morning, Paul David Gaubatz's Web site still included some material from the council, including political assessments of several U.S. senators. These apparently aren't covered by the judge's temporary restraining order, which focuses on donor lists and material protected by attorney-client privilege.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Rep. Myrick writes foreword for book 'Muslim Mafia'

Muslims in U.S. feel unfairly implicated in the war on terror

Scrutinized for years, foundation faces trial

FBI struggles to win trust of Muslim, Arab communities

Follow the latest politics news at McClatchy's Planet Washington

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service