Graham: Thanks for not sending detainees to South Carolina | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Graham: Thanks for not sending detainees to South Carolina

James Rosen - McClatchy Newspapers

December 15, 2009 08:16 PM

WASHINGTON — Sen. Lindsey Graham on Tuesday praised President Barack Obama for heeding his advice to bypass the naval brig in Charleston, S.C., and transfer terror suspects instead to an Illinois prison from the U.S. military base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Graham, a South Carolina Republican, said he spoke with Obama recently and reiterated his strong opposition to moving the Guantanamo detainees to the medium-security brig at the Naval Weapons Station in Charleston.

"I spoke to the president about Charleston a couple weeks ago," Graham told McClatchy. "He listened intently as I said I thought Charleston is not an appropriate site for long-term detention. I made my best case. I appreciate the president hearing what I had to say."

The Charleston brig had been at the top of a Pentagon list of potential destinations for some of the 216 detainees at the Guantanamo prison, which Obama pledged to close in an executive order two days after taking office in January.

Graham broke with fellow South Carolina Republican Sen. Jim DeMint and other GOP lawmakers who criticized Obama's decision to have the federal government buy the Thomson Correctional Center in Illinois and move as many as 100 detainees there from Guantanamo.

"This unnecessary decision to bring known terrorists away from a secure facility off our shores and into American neighborhoods is appalling," DeMint said. "The president's decision may please some European elites, but it doesn't make American families any safer."

House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, a South Carolina Democrat, accused Republicans — who in May introduced the Keep Terrorists Out of America Act — of having whipped up fears over the transfer of Guantanamo detainees.

Clyburn said he never feared that the detainees would be transferred to Charleston because communities in Michigan, Montana and Illinois had expressed the willingness to accept them because housing them would bring jobs.

"Why would the administration reject all of that and go into South Carolina to a facility that is really inadequate?" Clyburn said. "I never thought it would happen."

Graham said the Illinois prison is a good choice because of its rural location 150 miles west of Chicago.

"I think the Illinois site can securely house these prisoners," Graham said. "I'm convinced they can be securely housed on U.S. soil. They're not ten feet tall. We can, as a nation, have a jail that works."

Graham said he was more concerned by Obama's decision, disclosed last month by Attorney General Eric Holder, to try the alleged plotters of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in federal court in New York, and not before military commissions.

"Finding a secure location is one of the easiest things to do," Graham said. "The disposition of these detainees' cases is as important to me as where you confine them. The idea of bringing Khalid Sheik Mohammed and his co-conspirators to trial in civilian court criminalizes the war on terror. It is a bad decision."

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

U.S. will move its war court from Guantanamo to Illinois

December 15, 2009 07:39 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service