Washington state Rep. Dicks says ethics probe is over | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Washington state Rep. Dicks says ethics probe is over

Les Blumenthal - McClatchy Newspapers

December 18, 2009 05:56 PM

WASHINGTON — The Office of Congressional Ethics has ended its investigation into the relationship between Rep. Norm Dicks and an influential defense lobbying firm and recommended no further action, the Washington state Democrat said Friday.

The House Ethics Committee could still investigate, but Dicks said he considered the matter over.

"I have received notice from the Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE) that it found no basis for further action and thus I consider the OCE matter closed," Dicks said in a statement.

Both the committee and the OCE do not comment on any cases that may or not be before them. But a confidential committee memo inadvertently released to the public in late October showed Dicks was one of seven congressmen being investigated for their dealings with PMA Group.

The investigation focused on whether the congressmen had accepted campaign contributions from PMA's political action committee, clients and employees in exchange for earmarks in congressional spending bills or other official actions. The lobbying firm, which has closed, is reportedly under investigation by the Justice Department for possible criminal violations.

Dicks has steadfastly maintained he has done nothing wrong.

The congressman was informally notified on Dec. 2 that the OCE was recommending against action, and he was waiting for it to make a formal announcement, said a Dicks' spokesman, George Behan. But Behan said that in the past several days it became apparent the OCE was not going to make any announcement.

Behan said the six-member, independent board that oversees the OCE unanimously recommended the investigation be dropped. The board includes former members of Congress, a federal judge and others.

The congressman previously confirmed he secured $27 million in federal spending for four PMA clients over the past three years.

The contracts involved Navy projects. Though their headquarters are elsewhere, the four PMA clients have offices in the Bremerton area, which is in Dicks' congressional district. Dicks has said the contracts involved legitimate projects that the Navy had approved.

During the same time period, Dicks received $133,000 in campaign contributions from the lobbying firm's PAC, employees and clients, according to federal campaign reports reviewed by CQ Moneyline Analysis.

The OCE was recently created, and the PMA case may be among the first it has investigated. Although the OCE did not recommend further action, the ethics committee could move forward with its own investigation.

The committee has up to 90 days to review the recommendations from the OCE. It may ultimately have to release the OCE's findings.

Dicks ranks No. 2 in seniority among Democrats on the House defense appropriations subcommittee. The founder of PMA, Paul Magliocchetti, was a top aide on the subcommittee.

The chairman of the subcommittee, Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., had also been part of the investigation. But the newspaper Roll Call reported Friday that the OCE had also recommended the investigation into Murtha be ended.

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service