Officials: Obama will propose three-year spending freeze | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Officials: Obama will propose three-year spending freeze

Steven Thomma - McClatchy Newspapers

January 25, 2010 08:05 PM

WASHINGTON — Looking to signal at least one step toward reining in huge federal budget deficits, President Barack Obama will propose a three-year freeze in non-security discretionary spending, senior administration officials said Monday.

His budget proposal, to be unveiled in part with Wednesday's State of the Union speech and in detail next week, will urge Congress to keep overall spending at $447 billion a year for agencies other than those charged with national security and mandatory-spending programs such as Social Security and Medicare.

The freeze would take effect with the 2011 fiscal year starting Oct. 1, and wouldn't affect the $787 billion economic stimulus plan already being implemented, the officials said.

It also wouldn't affect a 154 billion jobs plan pending before Congress and backed by Obama, the officials said. One aide said that plan would be exempt because it would take effect this year, before the freeze.

Administration officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to not upstage the president, said that the three-year freeze would save $250 billion over a decade — if it's approved by an election-year Congress.

After three years, the total spent would be the lowest as a percentage of the total economy in 50 years. Spending on those agencies has increased by an average of 5 percent a year since 1993, the officials said.

Still, officials acknowledged that the savings wouldn't come close to eliminating the deficit and balancing the budget. "We're not here to tell you we've solved the deficit," one official said.

Republicans criticized the proposed freeze as window dressing.

"It highlights just how big of a hole the stimulus bill created," said Don Stewart, a spokesman for Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky. "It takes a three-year spending freeze to save about $250 billion — or one third of the deficit created by the stimulus alone, not counting interest, which averages $100 million every day."

Annual deficits as of last year are forecast to total $7.1 trillion over the next 10 years, according to the Congressional Budget Office, adding to a total federal debt expected to reach $13.6 trillion by 2019.

The part of the budget that would be frozen represents an eighth of the total annual budget, spent on such operations as the Departments of Commerce, Education, Interior and Justice and agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency.

They represent one-third of the annual discretionary spending that Congress approves every year. The rest of the annual discretionary spending would be exempt from the freeze, including the Departments of Defense and Homeland Security as well the Veterans Administration and international operations.

Also exempt: entitlements such as Medicare and Social Security that are on auto-pilot and don't require annual approval by Congress. They're also the largest cause of long-term deficits.

Obama this week endorsed proposals in Congress for a deficit commission that would recommend spending cuts or tax increases to bring down long term deficits, and whose recommendations Congress would have to vote on by year's end, up or down. The Senate is to vote Tuesday on the commission proposal.

While the freeze would shave only a sliver from the total deficits over the next 10 years, officials called it an important first step, one they said they hope will lead to others.

"At some point, you do have to draw a line, and say we need to re-orient what we're doing," one top official said. "This is more about being penny wise."

The freeze would be measured overall and would not be applied across the board. Obama will propose increased spending for some agencies, cuts for others, and eliminating some, officials said.

"This is not a blunt instrument," one official said. "Some agencies will be up, some agencies will be down. . . .What we want to do is get as much as we can from taxpayer money. What that means is re-orienting towards the programs that are working and where the needs are and moving away from things that are redundant, duplicative and inefficient."

Getting Congress to go along in an election year will be a challenge, the Obama officials said. "Do I think this is going to win kudos on Capitol Hill? No," said second official said.

Still, he noted that Obama managed to convince Congress to stop spending on the F-22 fighter jet, something Congress had insisted on in the past despite requests by the Pentagon to stop it.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

For more McClatchy politics coverage visit Planet Washington

Obama moves to restrict banks, takes on Wall Street

How will Obama adjust, and will it save his presidency?

It isn't going to get easier for Obama in the second year

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service