Environmental group adds Missouri's Blunt to 'Dirty Dozen' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Environmental group adds Missouri's Blunt to 'Dirty Dozen'

David Goldstein - McClatchy Newspapers

March 10, 2010 04:55 PM

WASHINGTON — Rep. Roy Blunt has never been a favorite of the environmental lobby.

But now the Republican congressman from southwest Missouri has made its "Dirty Dozen."

The League of Conservation Voters Wednesday named Blunt to the 2010 version of its annual list of lawmakers "who consistently vote against the environment and are up for re-election."

The politically active group singles out candidates in races where it believes it can impact the outcome.

Blunt is running for Missouri's open Senate seat this year, one of the top contests in the country.

"Rep. Roy Blunt has taken good care of Big Oil by maintaining their costly tax breaks while voting against every opportunity to create clean energy jobs, reduce pollution and improve fuel economy for Missourians," said Tony Massaro, the league's political director.

He said that Blunt has received more than $1 million from the oil and energy industries since entering Congress 12 years ago, according to data compiled by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

Massaro also said that Blunt, among other votes, opposed: repealing subsidies to the oil industry, even as it was making record profits; the economic stimulus bill, which contained money to develop clean energy and create jobs; and public lands legislation to safeguard more wilderness and conservation areas, and more than 1,000 miles of wild and scenic rivers.

Blunt campaign spokesman Rich Chrismer said the congressman was "honored" to be on the league's list.

He said that Blunt was "proud to oppose these environmental extremists who want to kill Missouri jobs and increase taxes and appreciates the acknowledgment that he is one of the fiercest opponents of their radical agenda."

So far the league has added Democratic Sen. Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas to the "Dirty Dozen," as well as former Republican Reps. Richard Pombo of California and Steve Pearce of New Mexico. Both are running for Congress again this year.

Though the league often endorses candidates running against a member of the "Dirty Dozen," it has not yet officially backed the candidacy of the likely Democratic nominee in the Missouri Senate race, Robin Carnahan.

It did, however, hold a fundraiser for her last month in Seattle.

At the time, the National Republican Senatorial Committee called the league a "liberal fringe group" and that Carnahan "finally exposed her true colors" by having the fundraiser.

It also criticized her for "lining her campaign coffers on the other side of the country."

Both candidates have raised money from outside Missouri, a common practice in high-profile, multimillion dollar contests.

At of the end of 2009, their numbers were pretty close. Carnahan had collected 44 percent of her contributions from outside Missouri and Blunt had drawn 41 percent, according to Congressional Quarterly's MoneyLine Web site.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service