Schwarzenegger celebrates Prop 14 'top two' primary system win | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Schwarzenegger celebrates Prop 14 'top two' primary system win

Susan Ferriss - The Sacramento Bee

June 10, 2010 06:45 AM

His approval rating may have plunged as low as the former governor he ousted in a historic recall, but Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is flying high over Tuesday's passage of Proposition 14 and California's new "top two" primary system.

"This, by the way, is national news," the governor told reporters in Los Angeles on Wednesday, where he was joined by pro-Proposition 14 Chamber of Commerce representatives and independent voter advocates.

With the state in chronic fiscal crisis — and a trail of failed tries at changing state government behind him — Schwarzenegger is staking much of his legacy on reshaping elections in California.

Schwarzenegger got Proposition 14 on the ballot as part of a budget deal last year, and raised much of the nearly $5 million supporters spent getting the word out.

"He doesn't have many options. He really has been trying to shape a legacy for seven years. The one thing that bears promise now is something passed by voters," said Jaime Regalado, political analyst at the Pat Brown Institute of Public Affairs at California State University, Los Angeles.

Schwarzenegger said Proposition 14 will work in tandem with a redistricting overhaul measure he successfully pushed in 2008.

Both, he said, will force politicians to be less beholden to political parties — including his own Republican Party — and more accountable to voters who want lawmakers to negotiate more and adopt strident positions less.

Starting in 2012, the "top two" primary requires that all voters be given one primary ballot with all candidates running in state and congressional races.

Candidates don't have to include party affiliation on a ballot. Only the top two vote-getters are allowed to advance to a general election — even if they are from the same political party.

California's major and minor political parties united against Proposition 14, saying it deprives voters of choices in a general election and will kill off smaller parties.

The parties are considering legal action against Proposition 14. Schwarzenegger said he expected lawsuits to be filed.

To read the complete article, visit www.sacbee.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Read more coverage of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger from The Sacramento Bee

March 11, 2009 06:55 AM

HOMEPAGE

Read more about California's budget woes from The Sacramento Bee

March 08, 2010 07:55 AM

opinion

Commentary: Is Schwarzenegger playing politics with lawmakers' wages?

April 29, 2010 12:54 PM

politics-government

California's Schwarzenegger thumbs down on Arizona immigration law

April 30, 2010 03:07 PM

politics-government

Schwarzenegger wouldn't mind a third term as governor

April 27, 2010 06:46 AM

national

Schwarzenegger touts California as green jobs hub

May 13, 2010 07:00 AM

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service