Senate votes to extend tax credit to backlog of homebuyers | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Senate votes to extend tax credit to backlog of homebuyers

David Lightman - McClatchy Newspapers

June 16, 2010 06:19 PM

WASHINGTON — An estimated 180,000 consumers eligible for the government's homebuyer tax credit could lose that benefit because a huge backlog could make them miss the June 30 deadline to complete the transaction, but the Senate voted Wednesday to give consumers three more months to seal their deals.

The House of Representatives still must go along before the extension becomes law, a vote that's likely before June 30. The Senate passed the extension 60 to 37. It will be included in an emergency spending bill that includes extending certain unemployment benefits, funding summer job programs and boosting Medicare payments to physicians.

Contracts had to be signed by April 30 for consumers to qualify for the tax credit, but if those who qualified for the credit are unable to finish the deal by June 30, they could lose it.

Vicki Cox Golder, president of the National Association of Realtors, said the extension was a matter of fairness.

"These are not buyers who just entered into the market. These are buyers who previously met all the qualifications for the tax credit, but find themselves at the mercy of a work-flow jam with the lenders or other delays and might not be able to complete the purchase of their homes," she said.

"It would be a tragedy for them not to be able to complete the purchase in time to claim the credit."

The homebuyer credit program proved enormously popular, as well as a boon to the moribund housing market. The Realtors figure that since the credit program began in February 2009, 4.4 million people got the tax credit, and the break boosted sales by 1 million. First-time home buyers qualified for an $8,000 credit, while repeat buyers got a $6,500 credit.

The tax credit helped produce a major sales spike in April. The Commerce Department reported sales of new single family homes were up 14.8 percent in that month, after a 29.8 percent gain in March. The Realtors reported that existing home sales, which account for about 80 percent of the market, were up 7.6 percent in April, the biggest jump in five months. First-time buyers accounted for 49 percent of sales, up from 44 percent in March.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., sponsored the extension. It would cost the government an estimated $140 million, and would be paid for by disallowing tax deductions for punitive damages paid in connection with a judgment or settlement, a legal change that would save an estimated $315 million.

ON THE WEB:

Realtors report on existing home sales

Commerce Department on April home sales

Senate roll call on homeowners extension

Realtors' fact sheet on tax credit

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY:

Support for Congress sapped by inaction, partisan feuding

More new jobs in April than expected, but unemployment rose too

House votes to extend jobless benefits, Senate takes holiday

For more McClatchy politics coverage visit Planet Washington

To ask a question about this story or any economic question, go to McClatchy's economy Q&A

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service