DOT criticizes firm lobbying against cell phone bans | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

DOT criticizes firm lobbying against cell phone bans

Lauren French - McClatchy Newspapers

July 07, 2010 07:43 PM

WASHINGTON — Only hours after Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood lambasted a lobbying firm he accused of working against efforts to limit drivers' use of cell phones behind the wheel, the firm announced it was scrapping its plans.

LaHood joined other transportation safety leaders Wednesday to condemn the actions the Seward Square Group, who aimed to fight state laws prohibiting motorists from talking and texting while driving.

Instead, the lobbying group encouraged broader laws that would focus on car distractions in general. But shortly after the news conference, the group scrapped its lobbying efforts.

“We are pleased that the concept has met its goal of expanding dialogue on distracted driving, therefore the proposed coalition is no longer being pursued,” the lobbying firm said.

Seward Square created the Drivers for Responsible Innovation and Vehicle Education Coalition to focus the distracted driving debate on enforcement and not banning cell phones in cars.

In the client presentation _ originally obtained by FairWarning, a watchdog Internet site _ Seward Square said, “National transportation authorities and media celebrities have hijacked the debate…[and] auto, tech, and insurance industries…have become collateral damage in this transportation battle.”

The presentation targeted media mogul Oprah Winfrey for her support of a “no phone zone” in cars.

Last year, the Department of Transportation launched a nationwide campaign intending to reduce distracted driving, a practice which, according to government statistics, kills nearly 6,000 people and injures a half million more each year.

“The goal of the proposed coalition concept was to work with all concerned parties and public safety advocates to modernize driver education and promote aggressive enforcement, as this issue is more than just phones in cars. Our collaborative effort simply sought to expand the discussion to include other common forms of driver distraction, Seward said in a statement Wednesday after LaHood’s press conference.

LaHood said we was “stunned” that anyone would oppose the Department’s push for safer driving standards. The secretary said he plans to keep the “pedal to the metal” and encourage the 20 states that have yet to adopt anti-distracted driving legislation to do so. Tuesday, Delaware became the 30th state to adopt laws banning hand-held cell phone use and texting while driving.

“We’ve been on a rampage over distracted driving for over a year now,” LaHood said. “We are encouraging drivers to put down their cell phones and BlackBerrys and focus on the road.”

Statistics from the National Safety Council say about 11 percent of drivers are using cell phones and that drivers distracted by cell phones are four times more likely to be at risk for injury or death.

Joining LaHood was Jim Hall, former head of the National Transportation Safety Board, who supported of the DOT’s efforts. The Seward Square Group said Hall signed on to be “the face of coalition,” but Hall said he never agreed to that role and that he supports a ban on cell phones while driving. Hall described himself as an “advisor” to Seward.

Separately from the Seward Square, the Consumer Electronics Association has battled state legislation banning any technology in cars. Jason Oxman, a spokesman for the association, said it supports LaHood and safety measures but wants to see legislation banning all distractions. Oxman said CEA did not support the Seward Square effort.

“We absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with Secretary LaHood. Distracted driving is wrong, unsafe and unacceptable,” Oxman said. “But when you’re looking at distracted driving, you shouldn’t just look to target specific industries or technology.” Oxman said other products like GPS systems actually aid drivers rather than distract them. CEA supports a ban on cell phones for novice drivers, he said.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Another Gulf mystery: Who's in charge of oil spill research?

McClatchy oil spill coverage

Check out McClatchy's politics blog: Planet Washington

Read Next

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM

Immigration

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service