Sen. Graham says F-35’s safe from defense cuts | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Sen. Graham says F-35’s safe from defense cuts

James Rosen - McClatchy Newspapers

January 07, 2011 07:26 PM

WASHINGTON — Sen. Lindsey Graham said Friday he didn’t believe Defense Secretary Robert Gates’ get-tough ultimatum to contractors building the troubled -35B jet fighter threatened the arrival of five squadrons in Beaufort.

Graham responded to Gates’ announcement Thursday of sweeping Pentagon program cuts.

Gates wants to give Lockheed Martin, which has the main defense contract for developing the Marine Corps’ version of the Joint Strike Fighter, two years to improve software guiding its short takeoff and vertical landing capability.

Despite delays and cost increases that have doubled the jets’ cost to $100 million apiece, Graham expressed confidence Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort will receive the five squadrons of F-35B’s it’s slated to get by 2015.

“I believe that the F-35’s we’re due to receive are already accounted for,” Graham told McClatchy.

Gates was less sanguine about the jet fighter’s prospects at a Pentagon briefing.

“If we cannot fix this (software) variant in this two-year timeframe then I believe it ought to be canceled,” he said.

The Beaufort air station is slated to host three new active-duty Joint Strike Fighter squadrons and two pilot-training squadrons, or a total of 88 of the aircraft.

In North Carolina, eight squadrons of F-35B’s are scheduled for delivery to Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point.

Gates’ touch stance on the jet fighters comes just one month after the Navy announced plans to put the 13 combined squadrons at the two Carolinas stations.

The Joint Strike Fighter jets are expected to replace the F-18 Hornets now flown at the bases.

Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Amos last month shelved plans for the F-35B to be ready for combat by the end of next year because of flight-test delays caused by parts shortages and other problems.

Both stations in the neighboring states have started multimillion-dollar construction projects to upgrade and build facilities for housing the new fighter jets.

Almost $352 million in improvements are slated for the Beaufort station, among them a pilot-training center, new hangars, flight simulators and special pads for the aircraft’s vertical landings and takeoffs.

For all the problems, Graham still expects to see the five F-35B squadrons find a home as planned in the Lowcountry.

“I have not been told anything to suggest that the squadrons assigned to Beaufort are going to change,” Graham said.

( McClatchy reporters Patrick Donohue, Barbara Barrett and Nancy Youssef contributed to this account)

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Despite talk of cuts, Pentagon spending still going up

January 06, 2011 05:53 PM

national-security

Gates' defense spending plan cuts 124 F-35 purchases

January 07, 2011 07:39 AM

news

North Carolina military bases face few cuts in Gates' plan

January 07, 2011 07:28 AM

politics-government

F-35 orders likely cut in Gates' Pentagon spending plan

January 06, 2011 07:27 AM

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service