Florida Sen. Nelson avoids Holocaust survivors' protest, files bill | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Florida Sen. Nelson avoids Holocaust survivors' protest, files bill

Jay Weaver - The Miami Herald

March 03, 2011 06:48 AM

U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, who faced a protest planned by Holocaust survivors at his Miami Beach fundraiser Friday with President Barack Obama, has filed legislation that would give hundreds of victims the right to sue European companies for millions of dollars in unpaid life insurance claims.

The Florida Democrat had been working on the legislation sought by a national Holocaust survivors’ group since early February. But a sense of urgency kicked in to file it Wednesday amid the glare of publicity about the upcoming demonstration at the Fontainebleau Hotel fundraiser.

“People who are wronged are entitled to seek justice,” Nelson said in a statement issued late Wednesday.

Members of the Miami-based Holocaust Survivors’ Foundation-USA, which had been heavily lobbying the senator, said they were grateful for Nelson’s actions “to restore our rights as American citizens.”

“We look forward to working with him as he brings other senators on board, and hope he will tell President Obama personally how important it is to Holocaust Survivors that the insurance companies be held fully accountable,” the foundation said in a statement.

“It is now our expectation to work with Congress and the White House to restore our rights and address the survivors’ desperate needs that have been ignored for so long.”

A group of South Florida survivors said Nelson promised them in his Washington office three years ago that he would file legislation to allow them to sue European companies that sold their families life insurance policies before World War II. During the 2008 presidential campaign, they said, Obama and vice presidential candidate Joe Biden gave their word of support, too.

On Monday, they accused Nelson and Obama of going back on their word, saying they’re siding with giant insurance companies over Holocaust victims. Meanwhile, Nelson has filed his legislation, but the White House has not responded to the foundation’s recent letter seeking the president’s support.

David Schaecter, 82, of Miami, who lost his family and countless other relatives in Nazi concentration camps, brought some of the foundation’s members together at the Holocaust Memorial in Miami Beach on Monday to raise awareness about their struggle to win the right to sue European insurers, such as Allianz AG, which recently reported annual operating profits of $8 billion.

Last month, the survivors’ group held a protest at a Boca Raton professional golf tournament sponsored by Allianz, which garnered international media attention.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Holocaust survivors to protest Nelson, Obama Miami fundraiser

March 01, 2011 07:08 AM

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service