Former Obama 'pay czar' Feinberg discusses limited role | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Former Obama 'pay czar' Feinberg discusses limited role

Christina Rexrode - The Charlotte Observer

March 11, 2011 07:33 AM

Ken Feinberg, who once headed the Obama administration's mission to rein in the pay of executives at bailed-out firms, said Thursday that he has always thought the government's role in private-sector compensation should be limited.

Feinberg, the president's "pay czar" during some of the most tumultuous portions of the financial meltdown, also spoke to criticism that he didn't do enough to take back big bonuses from bank executives, and recalled the day he suggested that Ken Lewis, the former Bank of America chief executive, should give up his pay for 2009.

As pay czar, Feinberg's main role was overseeing compensation for top executives at the seven companies that received "exceptional assistance" from the government, including Charlotte-based Bank of America and Citigroup.

He later asked other major banks for information about their executive pay practices and issued a report saying that 17 top banks - including Bank of America and Wells Fargo - had together paid $1.6 billion in "inappropriate" compensation. A report last month by the Congressional Oversight Panel criticized Feinberg for not trying to reclaim any of that money.

In September, Feinberg left his pay czar role to be the Obama administration's point person on the BP oil spill and claims submitted by affected companies. Feinberg, 65, spoke to the Observer during a visit to Charlotte, where he visited the Charlotte School of Law and the Mecklenburg County Bar.

Questions and answers have been edited for length and clarity.

Q. Tell me about the conversation where you asked Ken Lewis to give up his 2009 pay. (Bank of America originally asked Feinberg for permission to pay Lewis $8 million in stock and cash for 2009, according to documents previously released by the Treasury.)

I've never met the man. I did speak to a lawyer representing him (New York attorney Mary Jo White). I told the lawyer that I thought it would be very politic and very financially justifiable if Mr. Lewis, who had announced he was leaving and was getting a severance package in the double-digit millions, that he would be wise to take zero pay. If he didn't, he would undoubtedly be subjected to public criticism and probably a congressional hearing. She (White) was very cooperative.

To read the complete article, visit www.charlotteobserver.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

economy

Outgoing BofA chief Lewis won't get paid this year

October 15, 2009 08:00 PM

economy

Pay czar Feinberg rejects Bank of America's compensation plan

October 23, 2009 07:23 AM

national

Bank of America executive pay remains hot-button subject

February 27, 2010 03:07 PM

politics-government

Pay czar nixes Bank of America's executive pay plan

October 23, 2009 12:41 PM

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service