Alaska Sen. Murkowski says Planned Parenthood funding fight isn't over | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Alaska Sen. Murkowski says Planned Parenthood funding fight isn't over

Lisa Demer - The Anchorage Daily News

March 28, 2011 06:41 AM

Conservatives in Congress say they want to wipe out all federal spending for Planned Parenthood because it is a leading abortion provider. Supporters of the organization in Alaska say that will hurt women who go to its clinics for other care including cancer screenings, birth control services, and testing for sexually transmitted disease.

Conservative politicians and anti-abortion activists argue women can go elsewhere for other health care services. But in some parts of Alaska, that may be difficult. Without Planned Parenthood, options for low-income women are limited.

In Alaska, about 10 percent of patient visits to Planned Parenthood clinics are for abortion services, the organization said.

U.S. Rep. Mike Pence, a six-term Republican from Indiana, pushed through an amendment last month to strip away all federal funding for Planned Parenthood, arguing that it was morally wrong to spend tax dollars on an organization that provides abortions. He and others who oppose Planned Parenthood funding say they also are suspicious of its motives and practices. They say recent secretly recorded videos at some clinics raise questions about its practices concerning underage girls The Pence amendment was tacked onto an overall budget proposal in the U.S. House. The measure passed the full House, but not the Senate. Congress then approved a stop-gap measure to keep the government from shutting down. Congress now is working on a new spending plan to carry the country through the rest of the budget year. The conflict over Planned Parenthood funding promises to be part of the battle.

U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, has gotten attention around the country for being one of few Republicans to speak out in support of Planned Parenthood. She says the organization provides vital services to those in need. "I think there are some that feel very strongly and will continue the effort to defund. I think that is a fight that is not yet resolved," she said in a recent telephone interview.

Murkowski did vote in support of H.R.1, the budget measure that wiped out the funding. She said she wanted to show support for reducing the federal budget deficit. Everyone knew that the vote was basically a staged exercise, she said, to establish on the record that neither Democrats nor Republicans had enough support to get their budget proposal through both the House and Senate.

To read the complete article, visit www.adn.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Florida lawmakers file glut of abortion bills

March 23, 2011 06:53 AM

opinion

Commentary: Planned Parenthood — one man's view

March 09, 2011 03:18 AM

politics-government

Ethics hearing for ex-Kansas AG Kline to resume in July

March 03, 2011 07:03 AM

HOMEPAGE

Planet Washington Blog - Musings from the Capitol

December 17, 2008 04:27 PM

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service